Fire sticks and stainless steel knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
TAHAWK said:
Adi007 said:
Take a look at the forums and one thing you'll notice ... the number of CR and Busse knives that are sold "unused" ... very odd.

IMO not odd at all. If knives were only sold to meet the need for cutting tools, the entire industry as we know it -- manufacturing and retail -- would collapse - especially the custom side. The "want" drives the market, not the "need."

It does indeed. But when the "want" factor becomes sanctified to the point that "using them" is dirty and obscene, then it's gone beyond funny. There's nothing wrong with collecting them, but there is definitely nothing wrong with using them. My sebenza has lived in my pocket, it's a very good knife (x3 overpriced, but very good). It gets used almost daily, It jingles around with my loose change and gets scratched - but who cares, and when it gets dull - I sharpen it. Do you know some people even send them back to the factory for sharpening. Funny thing, a lot of time and effort goes intop building them like tanks, then people treat them like they're made of glass. I wanted a bomb proof, hard use daily user - I asked around and the seb came highly recommended for the task. Now I have one, I find out it's a sin to cut things with one. :roll:
Hello. It's just a knife.

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
Martyn said:
[W]hen the "want" factor becomes sanctified to the point that "using them" is dirty and obscene, then it's gone beyond funny. There's nothing wrong with collecting them, but there is definitely nothing wrong with using them. My sebenza has lived in my pocket, it's a very good knife (x3 overpriced, but very good). It gets used almost daily, It jingles around with my loose change and gets scratched - but who cares, and when it gets dull - I sharpen it. Do you know some people even send them back to the factory for sharpening. Funny thing, a lot of time and effort goes intop building them like tanks, then people treat them like they're made of glass. I wanted a bomb proof, hard use daily user - I asked around and the seb came highly recommended for the task. Now I have one, I find out it's a sin to cut things with one. :roll:
Hello. It's just a knife.

First, Martyn, I use knives. I have too many because just when I find the "perfect" one, something else sings its siren song.

But as to your basic point, you want what -- logical? :wink:
Chap above got upset over the thought of a highly-regarded tool actually being used for its intended purpose. You got a bit steamed because he was upset. (Probably the line about "heaving.") Just smile. Collectors, by and large, keep the system going. Mike Stewart at Bark River will make the North Star woodlore model as a user's knife, but the the retail price couldn't be the projected $100 except for the collector demand. That demand lowers the average cost of the knives - - - - to users like you. They buy the item in exotic hardwood or jigged bone and you buy in linen micarta. Everyone is happy. :)

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Yeah, I understand what you're saying, I have more than my share of drawyer queens and have absolutely no problem with people buying knifes which never get used. But I am surprised when someone buys a knife, very specifically designed as user, and gets crtisised for doing such.

I reacted badly, it just irritates me. Especially with sebenza's, as even after owning & using one, I find the hysteria surrounding tham a bit laughable.

Kukriman

Feb 15, 2004
USA,somewhere in the middle
I didn't mean to get anybody's knickers in a twist...

Second, my comments aren't meant to sanctify anything.

Third, personal attacks aren't necessary.

The comment about square edges....have any of you ever used a knife with square edges for more than a few minutes. Try using one non-stop for an hour or two...then tell me how great they are. Square edges will raise hot spots anywhere they contact skin. IN a wet environment this process is acclerated.

Armchair Bushcarafters won't get it. Try dressing, skinning, quartering and boning a thousand pound moose with your square backed knife and you will understand why the makers round them off.

Take a look at a lot of really well made ethnic blades...most of them use a rounded or peaked spine. Why is that?

Don't be grumpy at a different viewpoint. I welcome all of your knowledge and advice.

Hey if you want to grind or change something you own...that's great. I "customize" tools all the time. But please understand why they are rounded in the first place..

OK this is the part where you tell me where to go.
Chop ON!
kukriman

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
You're right and I apologise, I bit back a bit too hard. It was late. I modified my seb to do something I wanted it to do. It always irritated me how I could not get a spark with it, and found myself using a benchmade mini griptillian as my EDC in preference, as it has a very square spine and could get a spark with ease. To me this was a waste of a very good knife (not to mention a lot of money), which in many ways is superior to the griptillian. I almost sold the seb, because of this - pointless owning it, IMO, if I felt a simple missing feature prevented me from carrying it. But I did like the knife, it locks up like a vice and is immensely strong. So I made the seb so I could get a spark with it. I'm much happier with the knife now and it never leaves my pocket.

I dont understand suggestions that I've commited some kind of sacrilige though. You're not the first to say this, but it's usually from "sebenzahollics" who deify the knife out of all reasonable proportion. I understant the "want" factor, but to place a simple tool in such high regard as to fear using/harming/altering the knife in any way, is to loose sight of the purpose of tools IMO.

The benchmade griptillian (an excellent knife) has a perfectly square spine, and although I'm sure, this was not to make it good at striking firesteels, it is excellent for the job. It's also an example of how a top US knife manufacturer, doesnt agree with the "round spine" philosophy - if there is one. I think it's not so much a functional thing as a purely aesthetic thing.

As has been said before, many, many scandinavian knives have square spines. The scandinavians are no strangers to living off the land, or using their knives as practical tools for everyday living tasks - they have used em like this for centuries. It's a good testimonial for the benefits of a square spine under hard use conditions.

The Ray Mears knife also has a square spine, it's his own design. I dont think anyone would call him an armchair bushcrafter though.

Again, sorry for my snappy retort, it was unwarranted.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Bottom line, it's a case of each to his or her own ... square spine, rounded, serrated ...

Personally, I've never had any problems with a square spine ... even with heavy whittling or even dressing but then again there are a lot of knives out there. Martyn made a mod job on his for a good reason I think but some folks might prefer to have the rounded spine.

Chiil ... it's just a tool! :-D

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Adi007 said:
Bottom line, it's a case of each to his or her own ... square spine, rounded, serrated ...

Personally, I've never had any problems with a square spine ...

Shall we have a poll on who get on with the serrated spine :eek:\: :rolmao:

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
I'd rather serrations on the blade than a rough thumb choil on the top of the blade :yikes:

Who here will admit to having one of them cheap Rambo knives when they were young!!!! :shock: :f: ... the kind with the rubbish bubble compass on the top :yikes:
Tony said:
Adi007 said:

Personally, I've never had any problems with a square spine ...

Shall we have a poll on who get on with the serrated spine :eek:\: :rolmao:

Kukriman

Feb 15, 2004
USA,somewhere in the middle
Thanks for hearing me out guys...

By all means, if you feel the square spine is your thing then go for it. And please...please....carry the knives you own. It is a damn shame when Chris's knives don't get used...same for Busse...or any other real using knife. Damn shame not to...

Sorry if I came across a bit strong...

My own thoughts are pretty simple...round off all of the sharp edges except the one that's supposed to cut. And do not buy cheap. Save if you have to...but spend your money well. There are too many good makers who are affordable not to buy a solid blade.

Better yet...buy a blade from one of the many great scandi makers and put your own handle on. You will learn a lot about knives..and you will have exactly what you want for a small price tag...

Notice did not say cheap!

I'll do you one better than that...let's have a Bushcraft challenge! We all buy a blade. Finish it...using hand tools only...and then send pics of the results... I favor the "Leppu"..is that right? The big finnish blade...you know the one?

Let me know if anybody wants to have a go!
CHop ON!]
kukriman

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
I would take you up on that but for the fact that I really wouldn't trust the quality of the mods I'd make with powertools ... I'd fear ruining the temper of the blade! :shock: But that's just me - there are some really good pro-am makers here and on British Blades!

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Ahh but Adi, he did say handtools only!

twak.gif

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

My Brusletto Bamsen makes a great shower of sparks and it's stainless 12c27 sandvik steel. :wink: Makes just as good sparks as carbon, IMO.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE