fire starting tip

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crowman

Forager
Oct 27, 2009
derbyshire
struggled at weekend to get fire going in the snow and ice discovered plucking a duck and pheasents feathers into the fire got it going a treat

crowman

Forager
Oct 27, 2009
derbyshire
not when camped in the ice and snow with nothing but ducks trying to get through ice on the lake much easier to use there feathers after grabbing one as you have to pluck before cooking so kills two birds with one stone

Oarsnpaddle

Forager
May 24, 2010
Greater Copenhagen
i am trying to upload a photo it just asks for an url could you tell me what this is thanks the crowman

Yes, it means you have to upload it to somewhere else, and then link to it, like this (click "quote" to see the code):

Image deleted by moderator! PM incoming

(just a random picture of a random thing - I chose "giraffe")

Last edited by a moderator:

Oarsnpaddle

Forager
May 24, 2010
Greater Copenhagen
Apparently there was something in the picture not allowed in this general section.

Here's another picture - quote this instead to see the code- it is my own:

L1050497.jpg

Last edited:
Re Fire starting tip.
About six months ago I heard a radio show on ABC Australia about a late nineteenth century shipwreck in the St Croizet (sp?) Islands in the South Atlantic, no trees, only rocks and grass --they lived in crude shelters made from piling up sods of earth. The only wood was the bits of broken boats from the shipwreck. The survivors had to choose between using the wood for burning to survive the winter, or keeping enough to bash the local seabirds -- their only source of food [and washing fluid, the birds' blood]. Until someone found out that the bird skins were laden with oils that made a great fire. They survived and were rescued. Interestingly, it seems that every man carried a knife.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE