Fire starter with back of blade

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pigeondave

Dec 13, 2016
Lincoln
Hi all,

I've seen a number of demonstrations on YT of people using the back of various blades with a fero rod.

I was curious as to whether this is to preserve the blades edge, or whether the backs of certain knives are cerated.

My wife bought me an early xmas gift, fero rod and striker. Could barely get any sparks with the striker (finding the tethered strap a little restricting) so I experimented with the blade of my leathermans. It worked a treat! Little to no effort and sparks every time.

Just wondered what people's thoughts were on using the blade as opposed to the back of the knife, if it's bad practice, damages knife, damages fero rod etc.

Thoughts?

Dave

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I wouldnt recommend using the blade edge for Ferro striking. For all ferrocerium is significantly softer than any knife it can lead to blade damage. Itll also eat your Ferro rod alive. The spine is a far safer bet. Some knives will require work on the spine to get a good throw of sparks. Old hacksaw blades work well too. The spines of these knives are not serrated but rather are ground to a 90° angle and left with a slightly sharp edge feel. Youre probably better off with a more suitable striker. Ive had success with bits of old files too

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Some knives will require work to get a good square edge to the spine as Mick mentioned above - but most medium to high end Bushcraft blades should strike sparks readily from new. If you have a multi-tool or a Swiss Army Knife (SAK) with a saw, try the spine of that - it should throw a ton of sparks!

There are also variations in Ferro-rods, some will strike sparks with door keys, bits of broken glass, flint, quartz, rusty nails / screws - while other rods will need dedicated practice and a good striker.

Your assumption of preserving the cutting edge is correct and something that you'll get used to doing - choosing the right tool for the job at hand - you can recognise some "old sweat's" by the face they pull when a newbie strikes sparks with their blade!

ATB

Ogri the trog

Pigeondave

Dec 13, 2016
Lincoln
Cheers chaps, I'll dig around the potting shed for some hacksaw blades and give them a try.

I've had my Leathermans for 20 years and it's as sharp as the day my dad gifted it to me. I certainly don't want to blunt it now :)

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
There's nothing wrong with blunting a tool that is designed to be sharpened. Sounds to me like you need to get using your leather man if you've not had to sharpen it in twenty years. :D ⚡️

Dec 26, 2016
Midlands
Try using the back edge of the wood saw blade on your Leatherman, if it's a Wave! Personally, I don't like carrying bits of hacksaw blades because they snap too easily, and when they break, they leave a sharp point.
With care, your preferred sharpening stone can produce a 90 degree edge suitable for firesteel use on the back of your knife blade. It's not necessary to use the business edge of your knife on a firesteel.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Never use the cutting edge of a knife for scraping sparks from a ferro rod, it ruins the edge and that's the sort of schoolboy error you see half witted "celebrities" committing on TV. :rolleyes:

I don't like using knives for this skill set.

I decided that I needed a tool that was safe in use, particularly in cold and wet conditions (because I paddle open canoes on big open water) but also very efficient.

There weren't any.

So I developed my own tool for the job and came up with this:
[video=youtube;_BQ0-fAruzo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BQ0-fAruzo[/video]

Here's the basics of bark/ferro:
[video=youtube;bc2wQ9ryts0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc2wQ9ryts0[/video]

I've personally never been a "follower" or "disciple" but there are loads of people who, for some reason think that it's "de rigueur" to continue using a knife for this skill set.

That's okay, each to their own and all that but all too often, severed tendons can't be repaired:dunno:

Good luck

Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE