Fire side snifters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ONE

Nov 21, 2019
N. Ireland
Calvados. We go to Normandy every year for the landing commemorations and the landlord of the little place we stay supplies me with a flask of his "family" stuff. It evaporates on the tongue.

Reactions: bingobadgo

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
Calvados. We go to Normandy every year for the landing commemorations and the landlord of the little place we stay supplies me with a flask of his "family" stuff. It evaporates on the tongue.
A good option there. I always look forward to sampling a drop when we cross the channel, that and eau de vie de poire

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I bought a half bottle of 21 year old Glengoyne during a tour of their distillery in August. Good thing I only have small measures as I clearly prefer older whiskies! Normally, I prefer peaty whisky, but there is always room for a bit of variety :)

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
It's quite expensive, but I tried some bourbon cask dartmoor whisky the other day and it was very pleasant, sweet bourbon undertones... I'm still more sold on a more peaty whisky personally, but it was a nice change.

Oct 18, 2022
Ambois
Always been a bourbon chap meself, nice drap of Makers Mark, Woodford Reserve, Blanton’s in a little hip flask at the end of the night. Smashing stuff. At more reasonable end Jim Beam, Bulliet, Buffalo Trace all very nice too.
What are you ladies n gents preferred fire side sippages???
Now we are talking, well a nice Irish single malt, or sometimes a nice aged port and if it's cold then for me it's a whisky Mac. warms you up nicely

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Crown Royal Canadian rye whiskey is good. They have a few novelty bottles which I have decided to blow some money on.
Bought the apple one first, good strong nose and taste. Like it.
Next was a very pale vanilla. 1/4tsp(1.25ml) natural vanilla extract in 2 oz/60ml was the badly needed fix. There's a salted caramel with no appeal.

Chug a can of good Club Soda first. Get rid of the thirst thing.
Maybe a BIG dark rum & cola while I look for a bag of shrimp in the freezer.

We are now -8hrs to you guys again. Was -7 yesterday.
This clock changing is really stupid. We are hoping that entire west coast picks a time and we all do it.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Tonight I’m having a large, oak cask aged cider spirit with a single piece of ice. I bought it after a very interesting and free distillery tour at Fowey Valley in Lostwithiel, Cornwall a couple of weeks back. It’s very different for me, and pretty smooth for only being 2 years old. Evidently they aren’t allowed to call it calvados, or the French producers get upset. Nor can they call it cider brandy, as the Spanish producers get stroppy. So cider spirit it is…….

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
All of a sudden (for me), we are getting lots of top quality frozen fruit. Mostly berries such as strawberries, raspberries, blue berries and the like. Mango chunks and medleys of these. Great replacement for ice. Fresh, a lot of these things have spent so long in transport that 20-50% are moldy by the time they reach the store coolers. So, I was paying 2X the fresh cost to toss half of it. Frozen, I have not found a flawed item in any bag.

I've filled a couple of ice cube trays with grapes and frozen them. The variety is entertaining.

Big glass half full of frozen raspberries or blue berries, top up with Martini dry vermouth. Using my polished bushcraft skills, I have fashioned a fruit spear from a bamboo chop stick to go hunting.

Reactions: billycoen

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Bombay Sapphire (UK) has come out with a "novelty" gin, flavored with bramble berry. Gold Award winner somewhere. That, I want to try. We have huge farms of cultivated blueberries and cranberries. A big handful in a big glass of white wine or dry vermouth is hard to pass up. Must try the fruit with Martini Bianco.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Not a fan of gin, but Oude Genever or Corenwijn is ok.

Single malts, especially the smoky ones, are my favourite for a winter warmer by the fire.

Or when the weather is not so cold, a very bloody Mary... A tablespoon of Chipotle Tobasco and another of Hendo's in the bottom of a pint glass. Filled up 2/3 with V8 or similar mix of tomato, beetroot and other veg juice then topped up with vodka. To garnish, a wooden kebab skewer with a couple of picked onions, a cube of ham, a cube of halloumi (preferably grilled or fried) and a stick of celery.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Not a fan of gin, but Oude Genever or Corenwijn is ok.

Single malts, especially the smoky ones, are my favourite for a winter warmer by the fire.

Or when the weather is not so cold, a very bloody Mary... A tablespoon of Chipotle Tobasco and another of Hendo's in the bottom of a pint glass. Filled up 2/3 with V8 or similar mix of tomato, beetroot and other veg juice then topped up with vodka. To garnish, a wooden kebab skewer with a couple of picked onions, a cube of ham, a cube of halloumi (preferably grilled or fried) and a stick of celery.

That's a meal, not a drink :lmao:

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Not by the fire tonight, but it's been a long few weeks and I decided I fancied a small drink, opened the cupboard and was greeted by an opened Aberlour 12yr single malt... I think I recall now, but for the last 30 mins or so I've been racking my brains trying to remember where it came from/when I bought it. Either way, cheers!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE