Fire plough with UK woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wildranger

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 29, 2011
Ireland
A few months back I remember trying out the fire plough for a few days and managing to produce a few embers using a weathered piece of dead sycamore I think it was. Recently I collected a variety of woods to experiment with (lime, horse chestnut, hazel, willow, poplar, western red cedar). Most of these woods were seasoned from freshly cut wood before being put to the test. I found that with the lime and horse chestnut, I couldn't even begin to create heat, as no matter how hard I tried right from the get go, the woods would glaze over and polish. As for the other woods, no embers. I've been getting loads of smoke and huge piles of useless flakes of charred wood. It's a curious phenomenon which I haven't seen with any of the drilling methods, these large "flakes" of disintegrated wood, instead of that nice fine powder we're after. Anyhow, I have some well seasoned sycamore now to try again and I'm hoping it'll work like it did last time. The fire plough is a tricky beast!

Has anybody anything to share on this topic, woods you have had success with?

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
just seen this...:)

have tried a few times but got no place at all, i have how ever had the flakes of dust as opposed to dust with a bow drill set, it was in my early days when starting out, but i did manage to get a coal, though it was very crumbly and not much use...

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Always found this to be a difficult one. I take it that it is a Sycamore hearth board you are using. What are you using as the rubbing stick? Is it Sycamore as well?

Cheers

George

wildranger

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 29, 2011
Ireland
Yes Seoras, I have mainly tried combinations of the same wood for both plough and base, just keep getting these large flakes instead of a powder

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
just random woods, i did not know what type though, i did try burdock on sycamore, i got some smoke but stopped as i had just been doing hand drill and was very tyred....

i like sycamore though and is my preferred wood type for bow drill, mix it up with a willow drill, hazel drill or birch drill though...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE