Fire pit options

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Anyone know where we can get a cheap (ish) fire pit during the lockdown? We've got a folding BBQ but it's not exactly right. Too thin and if it gets too hot it warps. Iirc you used to be able to get a decent, folding one from Outwell for £30 ish from camping and DIY shops.

Usage would be for van / tent camping in the post COVID 19 time or in the backyard for sitting out of an evening. Another possible use is to burn dry twigs and woody vegetation we've cleared from the back passageway. The tip is closed and we've got a pile that we cannot get rid of. Have to be careful, don't want to smoke the neighbours out!!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Steel lorry wheels. The perforated drum liner out of a washing machine or an electric tumble dryer is good.
We can't have any biomass fires because of the effects that smoke has on respiration compromised by COVID-19.
Very spotty concern related to thermal inversions in valleys.

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
Anyone know where we can get a cheap (ish) fire pit during the lockdown? We've got a folding BBQ but it's not exactly right. Too thin and if it gets too hot it warps. Iirc you used to be able to get a decent, folding one from Outwell for £30 ish from camping and DIY shops.

Usage would be for van / tent camping in the post COVID 19 time or in the backyard for sitting out of an evening. Another possible use is to burn dry twigs and woody vegetation we've cleared from the back passageway. The tip is closed and we've got a pile that we cannot get rid of. Have to be careful, don't want to smoke the neighbours out!!
As mentioned by others, I've got an old washing machine drum, mounted on threaded rods. I cut it in half (2 rounds) and pushed them together. Effectively making it half the height. This makes it a little less pretty, as you can't see as much fire through the holes. But, it makes the fire much less hungry. With all those holes it goes through wood like nobody's. It's easier to transport and store too.
Also it makes it slightly more efficient. The heat tends to go out of the top more than the sides, and this contains and disperses the heat a little better.
Also I've got an old wok, again mounted on threaded rods with wing nuts (collapsible for storage and transport). A hole drilled in the bottom stops it filling with water in case you leave it out in the rain.

Stay well people.

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Washing machine drum works for me!

DF6-EA1-EE-25-E8-431-C-9-BBC-F419-D35-BF296.jpg

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I have three fire pits - one on the patio, one in the fixed camp in the wood and a portable one that comes overland trekking with us.

The one in the garden is a full-on Kadai Fire Bowl, it's big and heavy. The one in the wood is like the first one below. Again heavy and solid, very good value; including a large tripod and hanging rack it was less than £100 at the end of year sale in the garden centre. The trekking one is like the second one below. It's nowhere near as big or robust but it works really well and I've used it at bush meets including the Bushmoot.

I've made fires out of washing machine drums and they work a treat but a) they're too big to pack to go camping and b) they never look like anything other than an old washing machine drum :)

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
We first looked at the type of pit in a DIY store when it was in offer at £15! We dithered and the offer ended with the price back up to £35. I kind of resented paying that when they were happy selling at less than half price. No it's a tenner more than the old full price so who's the idiot now!!!!

We'll probably buy it with a load of DIY stuff during this lockdown. That way my stinginess might not kick in.:confused:

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
A terminology question: how do you call "pit" something that I am used to call "grill". What is the defining feature.

A nonnative writer asks.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
A terminology question: how do you call "pit" something that I am used to call "grill". What is the defining feature.

A nonnative writer asks.

A good question - the Kadai range are called fire-bowls which is probably more accurate and the commercial ones above are variously called fire pits, fire bowls, grills etc. - I don't think there is a definition TBH.

I think the term 'fire pit' more accurately describes the 'permanent' ones that people build into their patios - a sort of stone or brick circle with some sort of hollow in the middle for the fire. But, that's just a personal view :) (I'm not English either after all!)

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
When somebody says "firepit" the image in my mind is something like I have seen in Hungary, a pit lined with stones or bricks or a concrete ring partly dug in.

A movable pit, what they'll invent next! :confused2:

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
A good question - the Kadai range are called fire-bowls which is probably more accurate and the commercial ones above are variously called fire pits, fire bowls, grills etc. - I don't think there is a definition TBH.

I think the term 'fire pit' more accurately describes the 'permanent' ones that people build into their patios - a sort of stone or brick circle with some sort of hollow in the middle for the fire. But, that's just a personal view :) (I'm not English either after all!)
Not English but British, as in Brythonic perhaps??

Can I claim that too if I've got Welsh ancestry? Evans from the valleys, you know them?;)

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Interesting that, does it come with a grill?

Just had a BBQ and realised the heap of junk my parents gave us has finally rusted away before we could use it. Our old folding one was worse. We limped through the BBQ hoping the leg wouldn't give way but we now need a BBQ? We're thinking a firepit grill thing. Hence my question. I like the hanging thing but no in good without a grill.

IIRC you can get tripods that hold a grill or pots above a fire, even a fire bowl for underneath.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE