Fire pit and stove in a tipi. Advice please

Joethefish

Tenderfoot
Dec 8, 2006
Warwick, Midlads UK
Hi all i'll be ordering a tipi next week (bison tundra 4) with groundsheet because the mrs wont do grass... women :rolleyes: Anyway wanted to get a small stove or firepit for it
Just wondered what people recommend? Not after anything to flash or expensive and preferably something that takes up little room as space in the car is often at a premium. Would ideally like to be able to cook my morning bacon on it and have it for the occasional brew and offering heat to us all sat in there (probably drinking :D ) of an evening. Also anyone help on pointing the best way of coping with potential smoke in a tipi, i know the top hat positioning can make all the difference but anyone tell me how to position it to best effect? Guessing it has to do with the wind direction? Well may the advice role in!
Joe

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
buy a small BBQ from argos mate!

I got: http://www.argos.co.uk/ProductDisplayTRK019?partNumber=3455384

Have had some roaring fires in it... it's well made and easy to clean... you'll still need to make sure you have a hole in the ground sheet so any falling embers dont burn your accomodation ;)

as for the smoke... just make sure you have a hole at the top and a hole at the bottom... hot air rising will do the rest... well it has so far in mine anyway.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I use the formed compressed brickette type things usually if i'm in a car... wood is fine but it smokes more, sparks, requires cutting and doesn't usually stay hot as long.

If I have any kind of walk involved, i'll just use wood though and make sure its dry and of the right type not to spark.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I know it doesn't actually answer the question on putting stuff inside your tent but...

When I go on my apline expeds, we normally take something similar to one of these for base camp:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/Produ...ing-tents/shelters/product_8030119/index.html

It gives enough sun/rain shelter to cook by without the risk of burning your sleeping accommodation to the ground, and acts as a windbreak for the stove. It's dead small when packed (the one I have is slightly different to the one shown in that it isn't self-erecting), weighs nothing, is easy to put up and works a treat.

Just a thought...

Joethefish

Tenderfoot
Dec 8, 2006
Warwick, Midlads UK
Cheers for those ideas... the folding bbq looks spot on, think the stove looks great too but being round (takes up more space) and having no real cooking area means the bbq is probably more for me.. shame as a chimney would be nice! Think im sold unless anyone has any other useful ideas..
Next is do i chop a hole in my groundsheet or do i find something heat/spark/fire proof to stand it on?
Joe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE