fire pistons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wedgie

Tenderfoot
Jun 30, 2008
gods own county of yorkshire
hi just made 3 in uk
used 8mm plummers gas pipe from b&q
6mm brass rod cap ends for gas pipe soldered in place.
tap washer orings
the groves in the piston
char cloth was made out of an old denim shirt
this makes the whole thing easy to work
i did a comparison with a flint and steel and fire piston side by side the mset up time was almost the same but the fire piston got the fire going in around half the time which was a suprise at the time as i have made fires often with the flint and steel (swedish) since 1985

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
have you done a web search? a few years ago I read loads on the subject when they became the american craze of the summer with people making and selling them in bone metal, wood perspex etc...

from what I remember the seal is the most important with westerners using o rings or close tollerance engineering but traditional ones used greasy string in general.

I even remember a guy sticking a drop of veg oil in there to recreate a small diesel engine and being surprised at the result :)

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Is there anyone out there who has experimented with bore size and stroke ? We're hunting for suitable shed-bodgery materials, and wondered whether there's a formula out there that relates bore to stroke for an optimum firing (while understanding that there's no such thing given the variety of variables).
The first prototypes are in copper pipe (ø13.5mm x 200mm), but we hope to source some narrower stainless autoclave tubing.

Stryker

Tenderfoot
Aug 5, 2008
Durham
Hi Wedgie,

Would you mind sending me your plans, details on the fire piston you made.

I want to give it a go.

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE