Fire piston recommendation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GST138

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2007
North Yorks
I got some money for my 40th and I am wanting to buy a "nice" object that will last a long time.
I am interested in a fire piston and I am wanting peoples opinions on the following

1. Wilderness Solutions mark 11.
2. Instructors Fire Piston from Survival and Safety School.
3. Survival School Fire Piston built by Jeff from this forum

The one that I am leaning towards is the Instructors. It has a brass rod (they state they are less likely to break) In the top of the shaft is a tin to hold the the lube and tinder and it is vented. The buffalo horn one takes my fancy.

Obviously the others are good too but does anyone have opinions on the whole thing.

Thanks in advance

Gary

D

DannyFirepiston

I have the cocobolo 2nd generation by Wilderness solutions, Jeff Wagoner has a good business and stands by his product, I ordered the Buffalo horn Instructor's piston last week and apparently it was put in the post last thursday, I live in the US but you'd think it would get here by now, fingers crossed it comes tomorrow or monday. What colour are you leaning twoards on the bead on the buffalo piston? I went with orange and I hope it comes quick so I can try it and compare to my other pistons, I haven't been able to find any reviews on it but it seems solid and has that nice little cap for tinder... anyway, for a first piston I'd go with the instructors or wilderness solutions, for something that you wouldn't need too much know how or extra parts to maintain.

D

DannyFirepiston

If you are still interested, the Finlay piston arrived today, and I must say, for the price, and all the gadgets with it, it works just as well as my other pistons and looks really cool to boot. only one gripe: the brass tub for the top wasn't glued in, the "lid" is supposed to be glued in to the bottom of the knob, and the tub twist down over it. But a few drops there fixed it up quickly.

D

DannyFirepiston

That one is basically the "21st century" version of the Instructor's Piston mentioned earlier: extra gaskets, compression release, tinder storage, etc. The NuMyth one is on my list of gear I'd like to get, but for an "artistic" and functional piston, the instructors or the wilderness solutions pistons are great.

GST138

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2007
North Yorks
Hi

Thanks for the word of advice. I have to say that in the end I went for the wilderness solutions one, partly because of the price, partly because I could not find any reviews about the instructors one. I have to say I am very pleased it is a beautiful thing.
I like the modern ones too but wanted something traditional.

Thanks again for the replies.

Gary

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE