Fire Piston, Help!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Crefftwr

May 8, 2011
North Wales
Ive recently purchased the above out of interest, the theory seems sound enough but Ive just not managed ignition yet, any tips?

Many thanks

AussieVic

Forager
Jan 24, 2011
Victoria, Australia
I purchased one recently too and spent ages and a sore arm trying to get a light.

My tips:
1 - use charcloth, if you are not already doing that
2 - LUBRICATE - make sure you lube the entire piston, not just the end seal. I was surprised how much difference this seemed to make.

Good luck

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
They really are specific in thier technique requirements.

Keep them clean and lubricated,
Check that you have sufficient compression before you attempt your ember by compressing the piston slowly to see that it bounces back out of the cylinder - if it does good, if it doesnt or gradually looses pressure, check it is clean and lubricated as above.
Ensure your tinder is secure either in a cavity or amongst a small blob of lube. Also ensure that it does not overhang the sides of the piston as it can contaminate the cylinder bore - see cleanliness....
Rather than the slap or bash that some people recommend, I find it better to follow the "crunch" advice of some - a quick and dedicated push rather than a hit which could damage the piston rod.
Once done, get the piston out fast - there is precious little air in there to support combustion, it needs to breathe to remain viable.
If it does not perform after repeated attempts, review your technique, check cleanliness and finally ensure the seal is doing its job - (slow operation as before).

I have made and bought a few and it has taken a long while to get them to work - although there are some that I simply can't get to work at all.

Good luck

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE