fire piston help!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
i was lucky enough to get a fire piston off of the gift it on thread and i thought they looked simple enough but i cant even get a hint of a glow out of it.

ive lubed the shaft.

but at the tip is a screw with a sort hollowed out set of cross head and apparently im supposed to put a piece of char slab in there.... HOW???? it would have to be about 1mmx1mm to fit in that gap and once its in there i cant get it out! anything bigger gets stuck in the tube....

:(

help me bushcraft gurus, i know ye exist!

Mar 6, 2011
Cramlington
Hi ye ive just purchased one myself in the end a piece of charcloth sits and i use vaseline to lubricate ensuring i dont get any on the rubber ring, and happily get a spark each time.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
Hi ye ive just purchased one myself in the end a piece of charcloth sits and i use vaseline to lubricate ensuring i dont get any on the rubber ring, and happily get a spark each time.

none on the ring you say? i knew not this piece of information.... sigh.... will try again!

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
Don't know if this is much use... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EnhgRUgdl8&feature=related

If you need decent char-cloth, I have two type's that take a spark very well... I could possibly get some in the post for you today to be with you tomorrow.

al.

i was very kindly provided with a gigantic packet of char slab along with the piston.

i tried it with a firesteel and it lit a very nice fire in the garden with zero hassle! amazing bit of tinder!

i have managed to get two coals out of the fire piston so far but its very erratic unfortunately... i will keep trying... guess its a practice thing....

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
.... HOW???? it would have to be about 1mmx1mm to fit in that gap and once its in there i cant get it out! anything bigger gets stuck in the tube....

Yup, your right, the piece of char placed on the tip of the piston has to be pretty small - large enough to anchor securely in the tip hollow yet small enough not to foul the sides of the cylinder.

... i use vaseline to lubricate ensuring i dont get any on the rubber ring, and happily get a spark each time.

Try using some silicone grease - it won't eat away at the rubber seal and provides good lube properties. You need to lubricate the rubber seal at some point or you'll have a difficult time getting any reasonable compression.

Having made a few of these, I can honestly say that cleanliness is the key - use a twist of tissue paper inside the bore of the cylinder to see what crud accumilates in there!
Next is lubrication, enough to do the job but not so much that it prevents the piston reaching the bottom of its stroke.
After your preparation, a fast action, but not a slap - that could result in bending the piston and risk breaking it!
Finally, after the compression stroke - get the ember out fast- there is precious little air in there to start with and even less to sustain the ember for any length of time.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll get the hang of it soon.

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE