Fire Pan

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fisheyelens

Feb 12, 2010
Cumbria
Hi Guys,

After having a chat with Barn Owl about the Galloway forest and the use of Fire pans for ease and leaving no damage or forest fire potential, I am wondering what people use. I have seen the pictures of his Jerry Can, split down the middle and that's fantastic, I intend to make one of those for the back of the car.

I am just wondering what people use when they are without transport, trekking through the forest, I have used large disposable BBQ foil before in my garden, so that's an option.

so, please let me know what you use!

Thanks in advance.

Lee

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
I suppose one of the aluminum turkey roasting pans would work, it would be very light, but terribly bulky.

Aluminum soda/beer cans will eventually melt in a fire so that could be a problem.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I have a stand for a portable BBQ & then put a medium sized Tesco baking tray in it, which fits very well. The whole thing is very light for what it is, all be it a bit bulky, but the base of the pan is 2" above the floor. It works really well and I have even got away with saying 'No this is not a fire it is a BBQ' more than once... ;0)

fisheyelens

Feb 12, 2010
Cumbria
ooh that's a great idea, I can just strap a baking tray to the back of my rucksack...

I normally cook on a hobo stove or in the past a little gas one, but if I am spending the night out on my tod in the woods a nice little fire is always a friend.

I have seen ones that people make out of machined ally, that come as a flat pack and bolt together...but bulk wise a tin strapped to your rucksack isnt going to upset me.

Cheers!

fisheyelens

Feb 12, 2010
Cumbria
Thanks Andy that looks great, is it purpose built for BBQ or does it serve another purpose an been adapted, i had a look on the homebase website and it wasnt under garden fire or bbq Shiz.

Looks just the job

Cheers

Lee

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I like the look of that B&Q BBQ as it's a nice size for a group to gather round. It looks like it's the next logical size up from my baking tin on a stand which is great for 1 to 3 people; it is ideal when you are off on your own and want a decent size fire without leaving a trace; it's about 14"x8". As long as you don't leave a firescar you are doing it right in my book.

However those Jerry can stoves I really like & it's the first time I have seen them. I must read up on those, as there seems to be a few designs out there. I suppose it's like cutting those Butane Gas tanks up; you have to be pretty confident you know what you are doing before you take a grinder/burner/drill etc.. to one...

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Quite a few of the portable bbqs can be adapted for a full on fire pit.

I got one of these last spring and used for a fortnight in the Alps last year ...
bbq.jpg

If you can stretch your budget a wee bit further then look at the steel fireboxes which can be taken apart and slipped in your pack. There are some little ones which don't weigh much at all and even titanium numbers if you wallets really heavy at the moment.
These get good reviews although I've not got one, yet .... :rolleyes:
http://www.canoepaddler.me.uk/fireboxes.htm

fisheyelens

Feb 12, 2010
Cumbria
I had a look at the Jerry cans in B&Q today, they are weld sealed round the centre which a grinder with a cutting blade would eat through no bother.

I found a good cheap baking tray for £2, going to drill some holes in top and bottom rim so i can parracord it to the back of my rucksack for solo trips.

And i got a B&Q charcoal burner thing for £5 clearance, its like a fire bucket, doesnt fold down or anything but will fit in the boot of the car an get a couple bigish logs in and cook off no bother.

Those fireboxes look nice but i think they do the same job as a baking tray or hobostove and im skint :)

Thanks guys

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE