Fire lighting with a boiled sweet!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Not being health and safety police here but guys consider potassium nitrate over permangenate. Yeah you need a spark or lighter to ignite it but it's much much safer and more stable particularly with metals. Its also easier to get hold of, and burns hotter for longer. Permagenates form binary explosive mixtures with metals (particularly aluminium so don't do it in a mess tin) that are wildly unstable. Pluss ordering any large amount may well provoke a response. I believe you need an EPP (explosives precoursors and poisons) licence to buy it now too

Edit. You don't need an EPP, but you probably should IMO. Have a drift over to British amateur pyrotechnics forum and just ask people how they feel about it, you'll get a shock!

Last edited:

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Amazing!

but where do you get potassium permangamate..(i cant even pronounce it never mind spell it!)

surprisingly Its not that difficult to get hold of readily available from eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...nate.TRS0&_nkw=potasium+permanginate&_sacat=0

or in ready made
KMnO4, & gliserol detail by Alan 13-7, on Flickr

(Approx) 4 Grams of KMn04 (A.K.A.Potassium permanganate) & 2ml of glycerol which doesn’t sound like a lot but it is enough powder (depending on the amount you use & the conditions) to start around 5 fires.

Available from MD Flashlights etc. Ltd

http://www.mdflashlightsetc.co.uk/i...urvival_shop/fire_lighting/0/0/?k=:14:430150:

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2015
Rochdale
surprisingly Its not that difficult to get hold of readily available from eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...nate.TRS0&_nkw=potasium+permanginate&_sacat=0

or in ready made
KMnO4, & gliserol detail by Alan 13-7, on Flickr

(Approx) 4 Grams of KMn04 (A.K.A.Potassium permanganate) & 2ml of glycerol which doesn’t sound like a lot but it is enough powder (depending on the amount you use & the conditions) to start around 5 fires.

Available from MD Flashlights etc. Ltd
Thanks. (Though I was just being inquisitive< and wouldn't use the stuff to be honest)

I think I will stick to other methods. I'm still learning about the gear though:)

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
Maybe it would just be slower? Because grinding it increases potential surface area... So if you just buried the sweet in a small pile, surely it would go up?

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Maybe it would just be slower? Because grinding it increases potential surface area... So if you just buried the sweet in a small pile, surely it would go up?

Youd still need activation energy, it's pretty friction sensitive though

superc0ntra

Nomad
Sep 15, 2008
Sweden
Interesting video, thanks for sharing.
Going out this weekend so if I can get my hands on potassium permanganate I'll give it a try.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE