Fire Lighting Kit

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
Just to add a bit more. I wouldnt advise cotton wool because of its susceptability to the wet. However, a Tampon (the little bullet without the applicator as my wife calls it) comes wrapped in waterproof plastic. its also very tightly packed and starts many fires.
You could always consider a magnesium block on your ferro rod as well. It is a pain in the **** to shave but its not bad stuff.

Concerning the issue of whether or not to use this stuff. I wouldnt worry. If it helps you learn to not need it in time then there aint no problem. Just dont burn down the country.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
nobby said:
I'm trying to think of a small fire lighting kit to carry in a small container that if things around me are wet will give me the best chance of lighting a fire.
I have a fire steel and piece of hacksaw blade what should I include for tinder? Cotton wool, steel wool, charcloth or what?
Thanks for any help.

Brasso or wetfire.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
ludlowsurvivors said:
there are of course times to practice the craft...but when it's raining and you are gagging for that cuppa that is definitely not the time...

You see to me, that's exactly the time to be practicing my craft...just my opinion :)

Bam. :)
(very chilled after a lovely week in a canoe in Sweden ;) ).

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
bambodoggy said:
You see to me, that's exactly the time to be practicing my craft...just my opinion :)

Bam. :)
(very chilled after a lovely week in a canoe in Sweden ;) ).

Hi Bambodoggy,

But there is "practice" and "practice" Doctors practice medicine...

Hmmm, scary thought...

But I do like a nice cuppa before the work starts...just ask my boss :lmao:

LS

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Practising bow drill etc is good to do in the rain to test your skills on a day trip to the woods. Personally though if I was really out in the wilderness on a multi day hike, the weather came down, I started to get cold, soaked, tired and generally miserable and I just wanted to get camp set up and a fire on the go asap. I'd reach for my little green fire box, split some kindling and get the fire going. I certainly wouldn't be faffing around trying to find suitable wood for a bow drill set if I had my fire kit box with me which I definately would have on a serious trip out. If I didn't have it because I lost my rucksack, was in a plane crash etc etc etc I'd have to go down the bow drill route but I wouldn't out of choice in those conditions. I'm with LS on this one. There's a time to practice and a time to forget the macho and just get that fire up and running. On the other hand if it was a pleasent evening on a multi day hike and I was quite comfortable and I felt like it, I'd gather some local materials and give fire by friction a go

In green de-con box
4 x sachets of green heat gel (waterproof in there little sachets)
6 x Wet fire tinder cubes ( waterproof of course)
Magnesium block flint striker
Char cloth in sealed zip lock bag

Also in 2 yellow tobacco pouches birch bark and clematis bark

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
Wayne said:
If your going to use a bike inner tube or vaseline you might is well go the whole hog and use a can of red diesel.

Some birch bark and a few decent feather sticks is a more traditional way to go.

Not a dig at you Wayne, but I wonder how many of the firelighting purists sleep under a Sil-Nylon tarp and carry their gear in a Cordura pack...

I use these for the camp fire, my Kelly Kettle.. and the barbecue:

Just a tiny piece cut off the cube will normally do the job.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
falling rain said:
In green de-con box
4 x sachets of green heat gel (waterproof in there little sachets)
6 x Wet fire tinder cubes ( waterproof of course)
Magnesium block flint striker
Char cloth in sealed zip lock bag

These de-con boxes seem very popular...I have 3 or 4 for various bitts including fire lighting...

Haven't got the wet fire tinder cubes in mine though...

LS

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i'm not a big fan of wetfire. i tried some and wasn't impressed. it's high priced barbeque firelighter. i'm going to stick to cotton wool/vasaline.

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
ludlowsurvivors said:
Hi Bambodoggy,

But there is "practice" and "practice" Doctors practice medicine...

Hmmm, scary thought...

But I do like a nice cuppa before the work starts...just ask my boss :lmao:

LS

Not quite true LS
A doctor will practise before he has a practice.
Sorry: it's the teacher in me :0)

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
Thanks all
I've taken bits of advice from several of the posts.

I thought the idea of a seperate firesteel was good so I'll keep one in my pocket.
I have a decon box and a magnesium block which has a small ferro rod on the back. Because I don't want to spend any more money here is my complete list:
Decon box
Magnesium block and piece of hacksaw blade
Piece of inner tube
Cotton wool balls soaked in vaseline in plastic bag
Piece of firelighter block

I'd appreciate any comments but not of the "it's not very bushcrafty" type.
I believe that the pursuit of traditional methods is largely a conceit. We indulge ourselves cherry picking from many traditions, cultures and historical periods and then say, "My bushcraft practice is purer than yours." There is plenty of space for us to use different methods and still be bushcrafters, IMO.
Further to another thread elsewhere on this site I'm trying to move towards 'ecocraft'.

BOD

nobby said:
Thanks all
I've taken bits of advice from several of the posts.

I thought the idea of a seperate firesteel was good so I'll keep one in my pocket.
I have a decon box and a magnesium block which has a small ferro rod on the back. Because I don't want to spend any more money here is my complete list:
Decon box
Magnesium block and piece of hacksaw blade
Piece of inner tube
Cotton wool balls soaked in vaseline in plastic bag
Piece of firelighter block

vaseline is messy and will somehow get on your hands and other kit. get tampons nobby. they fluff up nice and big and burn first go.and they come in a wrapping.

If you are worried what others might say try silicone instead of vaseline.

Steel wool is good when things are wet. better still if pre sprayed with silicone.

I practise the "cup of tea" routine advocated by Stuart on almost every outing. Its a good way to practise your skills so you can light in almost all conditions

Its 95-100% humidity where I am and often rains every day. The above mentioned and the inner tube that someone recommended work very reliablely but do cut the tube to a fine point when starting so as to save matches.

Keep us posted how it goes.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I wasn't talking about being a purist. I rarely light a fire with a bow drill unless i am teaching. However i do often have to get a fire started in a down pour so i can cook for clients etc. If i wanted it easy as has been suggested to me i could use a gas cooker.

My walking brew kit contains a titanium gas stove and a small gas canister for the purpose.

However when i have permission for a fire. I like to use my skills. It takes little more time or effort to use natural tinders as Jon has said. I can start a fire in most conditions because i have practiced and then practiced some more.

I do still carry some green heat and i carry cotton wool in my emergency kit. They are not my first choice method though.

Each to their own.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
scanker said:
Interesting. Tell me about Brasso. It's not flammable is it? I haven't tried it, it just doesn't "look flammable".

The type of brasso that comes in a tin with the cotton wadding already inside,

this will take a spark well!! (To say the least)

Even in the rain

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE