Fire in the rain

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
As the title suggests...
another post on a different thread , suggested not using a tarp above your fire, for obvious reasons...

So that got me thinking and I couldn't find any threads on the subject , so I thought id start it myself.

I know resinous timbers such as larch , pine etc are almost fully impermeable and therefore will work in the wet ,
I also know you can improvised shelters to stop the fire getting soaked , but can we have examples? surely there are various ways? YouTube came up short of answers so I thought maybe this community could help.
This thread is for expanding on the subject.

Also in stealth mode , how do you stop the smoke caused by the rain drops on the fire?
And what type of lay is best suited for windy rainy days?
And what's the best way to keep the fire going in the rain for long enough to go collect more firewood etc?
How about cooking in it , does it change from doing it in the dry ?

I know some of these sound obvious , but to less experienced folk like myself, it should help a lot ,with all your different approaches and methods.

Hope this is a good idea for a thread and look forward to reading all your replies!

So how do you keep your fire from going out and or smoking you out, in the wet ?

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Depends how high up your tarp is... think about the number of meets that have communal fires with either a tarp or a parachute over the top... if its high enough, it might well not be free from damage, but its unlikely to burst into flames.

If its pouring down and you don't have kindling, you can look above ground around trees... you'll find bits and scraps that will be good kindling.

Other than that, I won't detail my firestarting methods as apparently its cheating :p

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I've never had an issue using a tarp over a fire. I use the British Issue Basha; its a heavy beast compared to some fabrics but is very robust and fends off sparks well. They're also cheap to buy, I recently got another one from the carboot sale for £2.
I set it at about 2 meters and it isn't too hot over a fire at this height as I keep my fire relatively small. I also try to burn hardwoods to keep the sparks down.
I always carry a tinder / fire starting bag also, in it is usually some bracken or dry grass / cattail etc along with some chaga / charcloth / amadou. In winder I add birch bark and fatwood so ignition is never an issue. After this I split wood with my axe, in winter I carry a bigger axe and good size saw for cutting larger rounds. Split standing deadwood is always dry / feathersticks further improves things. An alternative method is a faggot or two of dead spruce boughs, Mors talks about it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja4gnTAoNzU
If you're still struggling bring some petrol!

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
Also wood wise, any dead standing stuff is great, split it and get to the super dry insides, works a treat! Pine is good for getting it going but if there is ash available it will burn green and wet

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I just have my fire under the tarp - the synthetic tarp I have been using since 2000 (one I designed and had Kathmandu Trekking make for me) now has four or five tiny spark holes but is still going strong.
I do not travel light nor, generally, alone and generally have one tarp for my sleeping area and another for the "communal" area
In windy /wet weather a windbreak means you can use any lay.
Collect enough firewood before you light the fire.
Keep the fire hot and it will not go out. Keep upwind of the smoke (this may mean "keep moving" as the wind swirls....)

Trotsky

I saw lots of fires under tarps while at this year's moot and I admit I did wince a little when I saw how low some of the tarps were but, nothing seemed to get so much as scorched. I did some googling and apparently the ignition temperature of Polyester (used in DD tarps etc) is 432°-488°, that's significantly higher than cotton canvas and even the wood on the fire. So I'd say provided your tarp isn't on top of the fire you're going to be ok except for the odd pin hole being burnt into the tarp.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Cool, lots of answers! Thank you all.

Lots of useful information, I knew about Ash and dead standing wood being reliable. I also knew about peeling the outer layers of branches to get to drier core. But I didn't know about the dead spruce boughs and that Mors had YouTube videos!!?!
Ill be binging on those now...
Thanks .
Its good to know the tarp thing is relatively safe if you set it above head level , and the Dakota fire is good even when it's wet weather.
Hope that this thread carries on with more ideas and suggestions ...
Thank you all

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Ignition yes.... melting i.e. holes me thinks much lower. Not trying to start a flame war but the idea of my lovely tarp dripping on to me fills me with dread!

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Why not have a hole in the top like an igloo or teepee ? I know its to let air curculate in an igloo and vent the smoke, but if you cut a hole in a hot air baloon it decends as the hot stuff escapes.

This shouldnt affect the fire, a little bit of rain will not hurt it, its really if the thermal mass of the fire cools, and a fire on the ground has a large thermal mass in the ground that only gets affected if the ground gets a good soaking. Youd only have to have a smallish hole providing your fire was small enough and your tarp high enough

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Why not have a hole in the top like an igloo or teepee ? I know its to let air curculate in an igloo and vent the smoke, but if you cut a hole in a hot air baloon it decends as the hot stuff escapes.

This shouldnt affect the fire, a little bit of rain will not hurt it, its really if the thermal mass of the fire cools, and a fire on the ground has a large thermal mass in the ground that only gets affected if the ground gets a good soaking. Youd only have to have a smallish hole providing your fire was small enough and your tarp high enough
A bit like this?

http://frontierbushcraft.com/2011/12/04/tarp-tipi-a-modern-take-on-a-classic-shelter-design/

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Nope just a hole in a tarp, the idea being that the heat heads for the hole rather than being traped static by the tarp. Teepee of the native american, ibelieve apache plain tribes.
I see...
Cheap tarp on "to get" list it is then.... ;)

Last edited:

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
A canvas tarp would work well.
I often make a little tripod, throw my coat over for wind and rain protection.
Once it's going, you will nerd plenty small kindling. Remember that there will be a lot of moisture in the air, just persevere.
Matches are made the size they are for a reason, progress in fuel thickness, as your fire grows.
Match size, then pencil, then your little finger, thumb size, half wrist thick, finally full wrist and your good.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Surely it would be more sensible to use a cartridge or alcohol stove in the rain. I would also say a gasoline stove if you really know how to start it and not get the massive flare ups

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
With reference to my comment regarding fires under tarps was you asking about having a small fire under the tarp while using a hammock. Generally hammock tarps are strung fairly low, and are open all round, so pointless and dangerous.

On a slightly unrelated note does anyone go to sleep with a small fire under their hammock setup or use a small fire under their hammock set up before going to bed? I'm thinking some of the hot air would be trapped by the tarp and help keep you very toasty..

I've sat under many a parachute shelter and canvas tarp with a small fire. Quite big fires under the parachute even, but it still won't store heat, just keep you warm. There are many posts on here about stoves and fires causing CO poisoning I'm surprised that it hasn't been mentioned that good ventilation is needed. Even the large belltents have an option for a chimney and flashing to take out smoke, CO2, and the killer CO. Sit by the fire, dress according to the weather for bed, use a hot water bottle if needed.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
I had a thought, yu maight fuuel a river direct onto your fire, that would be bad, so before you cut it, put a baffle around it just to be on the safe side !

Dude , I'm sorry , but I don't really understand your post.
I struggle with my first language let alone English... :)

Appreciate your help though , just sounds like your keyboard's had one too many sherbet's.. ;)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE