fire exstinguisher

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

agentx

Sep 11, 2007
Berkshire
Aye up folks, so a few weeks ago i had to deal with a small fire at work,
and had to use a Co2 exstinguisher. Now the boss was just going to skip
it so being bit of a steptoe, i asked if i could have it he said sure.
So now ive emptied it and taken it apart i was wondering how best to use it.
I thought about a stove or burner for the garden, but not sure.
Any help/advice greatly welcomed.
Chris

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
First you need to determine what it is made of. I have an old extinguisher at home that is made of fairly heavy duty aluminium; this would be no good for a stove. If your cylinder is steel (check with a magnet) then it should be good enough. Do you have access to an angle grinder an cutting discs? That would be the easiest way to gain access to the inside.
Do you intend making some sort of Hobo stove, or a sort of mini woodburning cabin heater? If the latter then some welding might be required (although some good ones have been made without welding) A search for "gas bottle stoves" might yield some ideas that could be scaled down to fire extinguisher size.

Whatever you do - good luck with it!

agentx

Sep 11, 2007
Berkshire
Ive got an angle grinder (xmas pressie lol) but no welder.
Was thinking of a small heater type thing for the garden maybe be able to throw a kettle or pot on for a brew.

MilkTheFrog

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2015
United Kingdom
I've heard of people using these as crucibles in a metal forge. Steel ones at least. Maybe not the best material for it but worth bearing in mind if that's something you're interested in.

badoosh

Tenderfoot
Mar 22, 2015
manchester
I used an old one for a flue on a gas bottle burner,attached it with angle braces from toolstation with self tappers.
Does the job..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE