Finnish Vihta for Sauna

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
Vihta (Western Finland) or vasta (Eastern Finland) is a collection of birch branches used to smack oneself in the back during a session in the sauna. The first step of making one is to collect a suitable number of branches from the trees. Next I divided them into two piles based on their thickness and length. When assembled, vihta should be not too thick that it cannot bent nor to thin. Traditionally vihta in Western Finland is tied together with a thin birch branche; the same as I'm using here.

This is even more traditional Finnish thing than the sauna, but it is my understanding that it has only existed from the Middle Ages onwards. Smacking with vihta/vasta helps blood to circulate when in sauna but originally I think it might also have been a symbol for the sufferings of Jesus during the time of his death.

vihta.jpg

vihta2.jpg

vihta3.jpg

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
Vasta perkele! :)

Benefits - adds a fantastic aroma to the sauna experience and alleviates mosquito bite itching (or is that the kossu :-/ )

Martti, try cutting up an old bicycle tyre inner tube for the bindings. Works much better than tie-wraps, and they can be reused (ours are years old).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE