Finland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
Today it was -30°C near Helsinki. The battery in my camera froze, so I couldn't take any photographs at the time. From fmi.fi:

image.jpg

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
Will you use Masur Bjork ( "knurly Birch??) for your puukos?

Yes, I will be using curly birch and moose antler for the handle. The design will be based on a military design from the 1940s. I bought a few blades more than I need, so please let me know if you're interested of obtaining a puukko.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I would not mind Birch bark.
The lowland Lapps in Sweden used mostly Reindeer skin, but sometimes pleated Birch bark. Highland Lapps skin and horn.
But, as you are the Artist, you decide!

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
The lowland Lapps in Sweden used mostly Reindeer skin, but sometimes pleated Birch bark. Highland Lapps skin and horn.

The modified Saami reindeer antler sheath design became one of the most popular Finnish sheath designs during the 1920s and 1930s.

image.jpg

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
I would say traditional Same boots...

This is common fallacy, I'm afraid. Since Finns and Saami live next to each other, they are similar, but there are differences between these boots and the Saami ones: 1) The outsole is much thicker (or double) in the Finnish ones. 2) Saami use reindeer skin, while the Finns mainly use cowhide. 3) The patterns are a bit different. 4) Historically, Saami in Finland wove their shoelaces white and red, while the Finns preferred all red or yellow and red ones.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE