Finishing spoons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Snooky

Nov 19, 2013
Tadley
Just wondered what paint people are using when they finish a spoon, looking for something that doesn't bleed if there is any carving

Also what do people use to change the colour when they have carved anything into the handle, and how do you then finish it to stop it coming out?

Simple questions but I'm a simple person :D

Dec 27, 2015
Pembroke
If you want solid colour and not to see the grain, use acrylic paint and seal with yacht varnish. If you want to stain the wood use acrylic paint that has been thinned with an acrylic thinner about 1: 2. Once completely dry, use a wood oil or wax to seal. If you want a more natural approach try different coloured minerals (eg red/yellow ochre) dissolved in water, then seal with a food safe oil like tung oil. Best I can suggest.

Sent from my SM-G110H using Tapatalk

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I carved lots of spoons and forks for kirchen prep work, usually in batches of a dozen at a time.

Preheat your oven to 325F.
Paint all your spoons with the vegetable oil of your choice. I use good olive oil, in the wood it can't oxidize.
On a cake rack, over a sheet pan, put the wood into the oven for 3 mins 30sec. NO longer than that.
Out of the oven, you will see heated wood air bubbling out of the oily surface.
As the wood cools, the remaining wood air contracts and sucks the oil down into the wood.
It can't wash off, you can't wash it out. Only if you reheat to 325F or hotter.
This is a demonstration of the predicted result of Charle's Law in gas physics.

I've done this also with bee's wax. It worked very well on a dish that gets wet daily for the past couple of years(?)
Very messy application. I'd use veg oil if I ever carved another.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE