Finishing off cordage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Up until now, when I get to the end of my piece of cordage, I have just been tying a knot. I presume there's a much more elegant way to do this that I am oblivious to. Something to do with passing the end through earlier loops somehow, and/or an awfully complicated 'crown knot' that I don't dare try?

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Biddlesby said:
Up until now, when I get to the end of my piece of cordage, I have just been tying a knot. I presume there's a much more elegant way to do this that I am oblivious to. Something to do with passing the end through earlier loops somehow, and/or an awfully complicated 'crown knot' that I don't dare try?

I just tie the two plies together, Don't really see a reason why I should do it more complicated. :confused:

To me, cordage is normally for consumption and not to be wasted too much effort on.

Torjus Gaaren

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Just tying a knot sure is the easiest and fastest way to go.
Question to ask is what are you planning to do with your cordage? Do you want it to keep in one length, or do you use it as some sort of supply / just-in-case-I-need-my-selfmade-cordage?

If it's the first: what about using (when you made your cordage out of stingy nettle) a series of clove (?) hitches, made with some strands - so you end up with something like the end of your shoe laces?

If it's the latter, I personally wouldn't, bother: just go for the easiest and quickest way - but hey, that's just me ;)

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
There are various ways you can finish ends, from simple 'tie the whole thing in a knot' to fancy back-weaves. the simplest way to get a neat end is to use a crown knot:

http://www.scoutingresources.org.uk/knots_az01.html#crown

Simply put, working against the twist of the cord (i.e clockwise or anti-clockwise) take a strand over its neighbour, then tuck it back through the last 'finished' loop of plait, then repeat.

EDIT: Found an animated (better) link:

http://www.ropeworks.biz/archive/Acrown.html

Remeber when working with finished cord not to use the last bit as the point at which you apply load - especially remember not to apply load /after/ the finishing knot :rolleyes:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's the neatest link I've seen for this Match :) Thank you.
Two ply can be awkward to finish off neatly......but.......if one strand is folded into a loop and folded back and laid along the end of the plied part and the other strand is then used to tightly wrap this loop to the plied length ( we're only talking about maybe 3 or 4 cms here) then threaded through the end of the loop, the loose end of the loop can be pulled through under the wrap taking the end of the wrapping strand with it. This traps both ends under the tightly wrapped end and the unplied fibres can be neatly trimmed off. Dip the end in melted beeswax or beeswax/resin mix to seal more securely.

I think that makes sense, but on 12 hours sleep in the last 72 the brain's not quite engaged :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE