'Finishing' handle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WolfCub

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Bucks
A quick question, sure you wont mind:)

I've been rehandling an old kitchen knife. (Long story behind it but it's got a familly importance.)

I'm doing the handle in walnut. My question is ~ what would any of you more experienced craftsmen recomend I treat/finish it with ? I am concerned it could be very 'dry' and brittle at moment.

Thanks, Duncan.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I would just work down the grades of sand paper, then wire wool. After that i just use boiled linseed oil. Cut the first few coats with white spirits to help the linseed soak in, after that a few more coats of oil uncut. Its best to apply, then let it dry and repeat over a few days.

Oh and remember to tell the new owners not to put it in the dishwasher !

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Hi duncan
I would work down throughteh grits to at least 600 (I go to 1200 myself) then soak it overnight in Danish oil to get maximum penetration. Wipe of the excess then buff it as it dries (a day or so) if it is sticky you can aplly a coat of danish oil wipe off the excess then buff it up as it dties over an hour or so.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE