Finishes for wood/leather

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
got one of stew excelent hoof knifes The handle as he said is functional , I found it a little uncomfortable to hold , so 15 mins with a file and i made some finger grips took off the "hard " back surface and gave it a bit of palm shaping . Stripping off the yellow varnish reveals a nice beech grain so i finished it with 600 grit . Wanting a waxed finnish i melted a mixture of pine resin, bees wax, linseed oil and turps in a jam jar in a bowl of hot water once melted i stirred in a tea spoon full of cedar wood oil. once set the resultant mixture is easy to apply to the wood a polishes up great and of course smells great to? Does any one have a pet mixture they use on leather or wood ?

leon-1

ilan said:
got one of stew excelent hoof knifes The handle as he said is functional , I found it a little uncomfortable to hold , so 15 mins with a file and i made some finger grips took off the "hard " back surface and gave it a bit of palm shaping . Stripping off the yellow varnish reveals a nice beech grain so i finished it with 600 grit . Wanting a waxed finnish i melted a mixture of pine resin, bees wax, linseed oil and turps in a jam jar in a bowl of hot water once melted i stirred in a tea spoon full of cedar wood oil. once set the resultant mixture is easy to apply to the wood a polishes up great and of course smells great to? Does any one have a pet mixture they use on leather or wood ?

Sounds a good mix, I have been using a mixture of linseed, beeswax, carnuba wax, tung oil and turps. It gives quite a nice finish.

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
must admit its a bit of try it and see if its to runny just melt in more bees wax think it must have been
2 heaped table spoons bees wax 2 of turps 1 linseed oil lump of resin about the size of a large acorn and a tea spoon full of cedar oil i melted it all in a jam jar in a bowl of boiling water ian

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
ilan said:

Any pictures of the knife Ilan? I'm looking for some inspiration on altering the handle on my hoof knife.
:)

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
ilan said:

On leather, I use carnuba wax.

PG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE