Finally: Mora and Hultafors side by side!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
There has been some talk on the comparison between hultafors and mora knives on the forum lately. When I was in Norway last week I picked up one of each (A Mora 511 and a Hultafors HVK) to compare. I picked these 2 because the blade-dimensions are nearly identical.

IMAG0462.jpg

Here you see them side by side. The HVK cost me 55 NOK and the 511 was 37. (That is 6.38 and 4.29 respectively in British Gold, I suppose)

First thing I noticed was that the Mora-blade seemed to be polished to a better finish. You can see that better here:

IMAG0460.jpg

IMAG0461.jpg

In both pictures the top knife is the HVK, the bottom one the 511. A quick test on the arm showed that the Mora did take hairs of my arm, whereas the Hultafors did not. The Mora also sliced through paper more easily, and left a cleaner cut. The HVK was by no means blunt though. The edge is just fine as a normal working edge.

As for handle-ergonomics: I really haven`t had time to use the handle of the HVK much yet. I have used 511`s before, and found that besides the infamous fingerguard that would get in the way occasionally it is quite alright. The HVK-handle is slightly softer to the touch. Quite comfortable, and the shape is nearly identical to the 511-handle so I suppose that results in the same strong and weak points.

A real difference in these two blades is the tang. The HVK-tang is a lot thicker/sturdier than the mora tang.

yterenum.jpg

(Picture taken from Monkeyboys thread: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102653&highlight=monkeyboy+handle Hope that that is alright? If not let me know and I`ll take it down)

Mora+511.jpg

I couldn`t find a picture of the 511 tang online. Only one of the 510, but I think the blade is identical and the finger-guard on the handle is the difference. I don`t have a handle-less 511 lying around or I would have taken a picture. I do not think that the difference in tang really matters. I have yet to break a mora-tang.

My conclusion, for what it is worth: Since I got the Mora cheaper, and it came quite a bit sharper, I prefer that one. In the end of the day they are both fine working-knifes that can take a beating. I haven`t really had the time or opportunity to test edge-retention or how easy to sharpen they are. I do not expect much difference though. I`d say get the one that is cheapest/easiest to get your hands on, as I have heard that sometimes the HVK is cheaper in the UK?

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
I think both blade are really value for money, I two prefer a mora tho. Thank you for the read, ps it's ok to use my pic for hand modelling, also is saves you breaking a handle :)

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
Great info mate cheers, I have got a few Hulafors from a shop in Cumbria for £4 each bargain. Great for general use.

Jan 19, 2013
Finland
I got around a dozen of these around the house, shed, stable and garden, mine have the same handle as the Mora 511 http://tee-se-itse.hongkong.fi/fi/kasityokalut/puukot-ja-veitset/hong-kong-puukko/p/154006/ they cost 1,20 pound each, doesen't make one sad if they break. So far managed to break one and it came off the handle, so I know the tang doesen't like the blade being banged with a hammer and twisted at the same time, but I think any knive wouldn't like that :D

The Mora 511 is around 3 quid, so not a major investment either, but seems the China copy does the same stuff :D

Last edited:

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Are the two blades the same thickness?

Z
I assumed they were equal, but when I looked closer the HVK seems thicker. I can`t find my caliper here, so I`m afraid I can`t give exact measures.

@KayakFisherFinland: Nice! I had never seen those before. Do they keep an edge alright?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE