Finally made a sheath for my homemade knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Wasn't that proud of the knife I made and after some discussions with people on the recent Sussex meet, took a grinder to it and reprofiled the grind. It's now much sharper, still a convex grind and thick enough for serious batoning. I also reshaped the handle a bit and after some tung oiling last night, it looks much better. With a belt that I'd found in a charity shop for £1, I made a sheath for it - punched the holes by nailing it to a plank with panel pins - took a while but it's double stitched with button thread so should be strong enough. The belt was already embossed with that pattern, so I can't take credit for it. Not a terribly good photo as my background wouldn't stay still!

eea10052.jpg

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Looks good mate and I must say that is the best background I have seen for a long time!! - 'moving? who me??'

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
I like that dude but you need to disengage the bladeage from the sheathage so we can also admire the sharpage.

P.S

That dog is evil dude i just spent 10 minutes staring into it's eyes, or was the dog staring into mine :O freaky

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Good idea making the sheath from a belt.goodjob..............I can understand the worry in your dogs eyes,:puppy_dog....... it's awfully near his you know whats :yikes:

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Thanks, I know I can't carry a fixed blade but does the law say my dog can't? :D

Will post pictures of the blade soon

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
Nice work. Is everyone on this forum a master leather worker except me? For the past decade I've been using a chunk of PVC conduit for a sheath so
last month I finally got around to making one out of leather, photos of which will never ever be shown...

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Nice work. Is everyone on this forum a master leather worker except me? For the past decade I've been using a chunk of PVC conduit for a sheath so
last month I finally got around to making one out of leather, photos of which will never ever be shown...

I bought a belt with the pattern already embossed, cut 2 bits & then cut the sloping bit for the blade. I then hammered lots of little nails through it to make holes which were threaded with strong, um, thread. Hardly a master leather worker!

Rubbing it with tung oil gave it a lovely finish & made the leather softer - I had it hanging by the wood stove in between coats

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE