Finally doing it....1st camp with 4 & 5 year olds

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hunkyfunkster

Mar 2, 2015
Loch Lomond
Hi lads and lassies,

I'm finally doing it. We've decided it's about time the girls had their first taste of camping, so on Friday we shall be boarding the boat and, all going well, camping on Loch Lomond for a couple of nights. I spent every summer as a child running and climbing and playing on the islands, and I hope my weans have as much fun and make as many memories as I did. They are 4 and 5, and they love being outdoors, but this is their first overnight outside.
My wife and I have made list upon list upon list, but I'm sure we'll still forget stuff.

Any hints and tips for camping with children will be welcome and appreciated.

I'll make sure my wife takes lots of pics

Thanks

Alex

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I hope that a campfire is allowed and there's simple food to be cooked over it. Junk food and beans rules.
Was hard to wean my kids off electric lights, even with a big old Coleman gas lantern. Their own torches/flashlights.
I found it useful to do what they wanted to do along lake shores, digging and poking at things.
Have a magnifying glass to bring along for looking at bugs?

Better than my old bush days.
Try walking with a 3 yr old who INSISTS on bringing a glass of milk.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
The first time I took my boys camping they were around that age, I just let them play on the beach and get wet in the rain. Had plenty of spare clothes in the car but they wanted a fire and ended getting pretty dry by that. They were full go but by 10.00 they were ready for bed, but up at 4.30 the next day - down side of massive daylight hours up here the buggers just don't want to lie in in the morning!

There was also a couple with a baby - real baby, not crawling or even supporting it's own head properly yet! I wondered how they managed, but they seemed to be having a great time.

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I'm not a parent but I've done a fair bit of camping with kids.
I'd think about a portable toilet (covered bucket) for nighttime use just for the convenience of not having to leave the tent.
Perhaps a couple of night lights that they can have with them in bed.
Lots of wet wipes.
Hope this isn't too obvious and helps.
Have an awesome time...

Reactions: Hunkyfunkster

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I’d not share a tent with a toilet, covered or not, that’s for outside.

A light each is a good idea, preferably with a low mode or locator because they won’t have organised a tent before and will easily lose them.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Keep it simple. Make them do things, they will feel proud of what they do and learn.
Food? Frankfurters. Marshmallows. Stick bread. Stuff they can cook themselves.

Toilet inside a tent? Toilet outside the tent?
Nope. Trench.

Before the first time I took my son out overnight, I explained about the various sounds he could possibly hear nighttime. So he would not freak out.
Good Luck!

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I suppose the toilet thing is subjective.
My family tent has two 'bedrooms' and a communal area.
With little ones we found having a portable toilet in the common area really helped at night.
Depending on the type, they can be air tight, and are easily sanitised and kept smelling fresh.
Clean them out in the morning and job done.
Obviously might not be for everyone, and I certainly would expect older children not to need it, but it saved a fair few accidents with little ones in my experience.

Just realised I'm specifically thinking of campsite camping with a toilet block and other campers. Wilder camping where you are the only ones around, setting up a convenient latrine rather than a portable-potty might very well be the way to go.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Kids are more robust than we give em credit for,my lad goes feral when ever I take him camping in the forest.leave the house in wellies n waterproofs and n a few hours he,s running round barefoot making bows n arrows.ive found taking a book for him too read in his sleeping bag or you aloud by the fire helps too relax late on:plenty of socks for him is a must cause he will climb in and out of his sleeping bag all the time and peg it around not thinking about putting his wellies back on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I suppose the toilet thing is subjective.
My family tent has two 'bedrooms' and a communal area.
With little ones we found having a portable toilet in the common area really helped at night.
Depending on the type, they can be air tight, and are easily sanitised and kept smelling fresh.
Clean them out in the morning and job done.
Obviously might not be for everyone, and I certainly would expect older children not to need it, but it saved a fair few accidents with little ones in my experience.

Just realised I'm specifically thinking of campsite camping with a toilet block and other campers. Wilder camping where you are the only ones around, setting up a convenient latrine rather than a portable-potty might very well be the way to go.

Belltent for me. Most that goes in there is a Nalgene for a wee, and that’s not often. Tripping over a lav in the middle of the night would be a nightmare. :D

Actually, having kids in there could be too. :nono::lmao:

I reckon you’ll all have a lovely time whatever you forget, and not use half of the stuff you remember. ;)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE