Finally a fancy knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

edispilff

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
between the trees
Started making Scandi knives around 3-4 years ago. Just loved the style and simplicity.. Well, so much for that.. Something fashionable always finds it's way into the creative process and ends up trumping functional form.

So some interesting things about this knife:
- the sheath has 4 small neodymium magnets embedded in it to keep the knife from coming out on its own.
- the wood is juniper (Sabina osteosperma) and smells like cedar, is rot resistant, and naturaly antibacterial (the berries make a great mask for trapping when crusshed and rubbed on clothing)
- the blue-green accents on the sheath and the pommel are mexican turquoise. Bought them when i was surfing in mexico one summer and finaly found a use for them after crushing them gently
- the sewing thread is braided spectra fiber fishing line (10# test) doubled over twice and sewn through 3 times. It's UV stabilized, super strong. and will not be cut by improper sheathing of the knife
- The blade is the famous Helle Harding #23 laminated high-carbon. Will get around to increasing the angle of the grind edge for a better bite.

And a few photos:

C_1.JPG

Juniper is such a fun wood to work with.. it's soft enough to carve easily.. but hard enough to make it difficult with a saw.

C_2.JPG

Helle makes some pretty good all-around blades. Haven't owned any of their knives but really like the smaller 'marine' based knives.

C_3.JPG

The turquoise was crushed and then swirled into epoxy. It was allowed to set long enough to form into a relatively accurate spacer shape and then placed over the remaning tang. The tang was died and the tang nut tapped after the epoxy was 90% set.

C_4.JPG

A close-up of the turquoise

C_5.JPG

All of the metal on this knife is Alcoa 7075 T-6 aluminum taken from an order at Boeing surplus (the airplane manufacturer). They have a load of neat stuff at the yard which encompasses everything from a-z. The spacers are fox hide.

Heh, what about all those cracks?
Well like said, juniper is an interesting wood to work with!
Juniper differs from a lot of trees in that it's heart wood dries to a lower humidity than the outer layers. this causes the tree to twist and crack even while it is alive. This poses structural deficiencies for elongated use.. but add a dimension of strength because of the twist in the wood.
After the handle has been roughly carved down to its final sanding shape, all of the cracks are filled with CA (cyanoacrylate) ... super glue to the layman. The knife is then sanded down to final smoothness.. and voila! the crack is there but filled with a high strength bonded acrylic.

A fellow Canadienne trapper named a few other things that are handy with super glue:
- you can use it to bond deeper wounds together to increase healing time
- it repairs fishing poles much faster than epoxy
- instant fletching glue
so many other uses.. i carry a 2 oz. bottle in my pack for emergencies

...but anyway, let me know what you think;)

The next project will be using pinion burl and a juniper knot for a traditional scandi 'do-it-all' puukko

edispilff

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
Neodymium magnets, really ingenious, never heard of them being used in sheath making. Two thumbs up mate :You_Rock_

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Obviously a work of art and a labour of love! Clean lines and perfect proportions. The sheath matches very well and reflects the design of the knife.

Does it have a belt loop? How do you intend to carry it? Is the leather glued to the wood part of the sheath?

Really nice! Museum quality!

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
First class knife and sheath. I agree about working with Juniper is is great bit can be frustrating. I also agree about the superglue. I never leave home without it in my pack. I've fixed quite a number of things in remore places with it, including a very grateful trekers rucksack strap in Nepal. :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hmmmm

Not sure about the leather cuff if I'm honest. Love the wooden sheath - thats beautiful.

However, what really sets it apart is the handle. I love an anatomical handle and that one is worthy of the master himself (Magnus)

Fine work fellah

Red

edispilff

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
between the trees
Yes, originally wanted to make the entire sheath out of juniper...
the sheath lather is fastened on there two ways; small "carpet-tack" like barbs were were affixed to the wood part at a slightly downward angle. Epoxy was used to secure it all the way around uniformly.
.. The sheath cuff was loosely (well, relatively) sewn and then slipped over the wood and tightened. To make it a little tighter toward the latter end of epoxy drying and forming, applied some good 'ole boiled linseed to stiffen up the cuff and tighten the grain.

There are a couple of companies that make neck sheaths with magnets in them for the blade to be held in with. Allows the knife to be carried upside down.

And here's something discovered last year.. a lot of makers use carnauba wax to seal the wood (and sometimes linseed). after trying to work with blocks of chunky, hard to work with wax, started looking around for an alternative.

*car wax*

Get the good stuff with carnauba in it, put a capfull on a soft cotton rag... and start the polishing process. If you've got a buffer.. even better!
The nice thing about it is.. after a couple of uses, the wax smell wears off and the knife smell goes neutral (or in the case of juniper, back to that cedar smell).

When you're done with the rag.. put it in a zippable plastic bag and reuse it every several months or so.

Some questions for you gents though?

on the next kinife (blade about 3.5-4" or 100mm) what blade would you suggest in the $30-50 USD/UK15-25 range.
Have looked at the eklund hammer (maybe too fancy?) and other's at : http://home.comcast.net/~bradjarvis3/
In preference though, the dirty functional look that forgoes the pretty look is where it's going to end up.

suggestions?... pictures?.. thanks gents!

edispilff

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Very well done mate, i bet that really is nice in the hand!

I hope it gets some good use! like it deserves

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE