Fifteen Nights in 2015.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Winter solstice 2014 I met up with 2 strangers I'd met via twitter, and headed to the Southeastern coast for a night bivviing in the sand dunes.

As I lay there staring up at the stars I set myself the challenge of fifteen nights of wild camping in 2015. The idea was to encourage myself to get out more and over come some of my fears and worries about wild camping.

It's now solstice 2015, 1 year has passed, and I've completed my fifteen nights. Mission accomplished.

It's been an amazing year, I've bivvi'd in four countries (Spain, Luxembourg, Netherlands and UK). I've been visited by dogs, wild boar and on my final trip at the weekend, a slug tried to crawl across my sleeping bag. I've bivvied in rain, in high winds and in clear skys. Using three different bivvi bags, 2 different tarps. Travelled on foot, by bike & Kayak.

The most memorable nights are both in Luxembourg. In April I lay in my bivvi bag, watching the ISS fly over in the clear skies, waking in the night to find my bivvi bag crisp with frost. In August I drifted off to sleep staring up at the sky able to see the Milky Way with the naked eye. A wonderful experience.

Fifteen nights of bivvi'ing has given me more confidence wild camping, and choosing campsites. This should make it easier when I want to start longer more ambitious trips.

Building on the success of this years challenge I've set myself the task of learning [thread=136432]sixteen bushcraft skills in 2016[/thread].

A few photo hilights of the year:

bivvisite01_sm.jpg
- First bivvi trip in January, it reached -3° during the night.

bivviview01_sm.jpg
- The view I woke to in Luxembourg in April.

bivviview01_sm.jpg
- View from my bivvi bag on post pub kayak trip in June.

ploughknief01_sm.jpg
- The plough over Knieff (highest point of Luxembourg), on my August trip.

milkywaypersied01_sm.jpg
- The view from my bivvi bag that night. If you look carefully, to the left of centre you can see the trace of a Persied meteor. I watched the ISS fly over twice this night, as well as watching the Persieds display.

XT1A1151_sm.JPG
- Montserrat on the walk out from the bivvi where I was visited by a dog and wild boar.

XT1A1658_sm.JPG
- My final bivvi of the challenge, using the natural shelter I found to keep the wind out.

J

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Brilliant to read, brilliant to hear how well it has gone :D

Best wishes for achieving everything you have on your bucket list for 2016 too :D

atb,
M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Excellent stuff Julia.
That was a nice positive report, always good when you can meet the targets you set yourself, but even better when you have a cracking time and learn new things (both about yourself and the world) whilst doing them.
Here's hoping that you get at least fifteen more next year and that you trounce that list you've made yourself. Of course we'll be expecting reports & pictures as you know the credo... It didn't happen without pictures!
Cheers for posting and good luck in your new adventures.
ATB,
C.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
Great write up and great adventures reminds me of another lady Phoebe Smith.Who like to wild camp,she has wrote a couple of book that could be of interest to you.Extreme sleeps /Wild nights.Best of luck in the new year with your new adventures.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Looks great, must say I'm pretty envious I only managed to get a measly 4 nights wild camping this year. Well done on achieving your goal.

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
I recognise some of those camps :)
Looking back I have done 7 nights under canvas in your company with kayak and on foot.
29 nights total with kayak, bike and on foot. From -4 to +39, (it was hot in France).

Well done on achieving your goal. Good luck with the next one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE