Fieldfares

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Just the other day, my Dad and i were saying that so far this winter we had not seen any Redwings or Fieldfares out in the back field, then yesterday, out of the blue, a good sized flock of Fieldfares arrived, ive endeavoured to take some pics, but they are staying just outside, what i would consider to be the optimal distance for my 300mm lens, so most of these pics have been cropped from a larger image so they are not as good as they could be.

IMGP8927bb.jpg

IMGP8925aa.jpg

IMGP8916aa.jpg

IMGP8914aa.jpg

FieldfareJan2012B1.jpg

Just need the Red Wings to turn up now:)

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Thanks for sharing.
We've had them for about three weeks now in the water meadow next to our cottage. They sometimes stray into the garden for the rowanberries but have to compete with a mistlethrush. If they've come to escape the snow, they've come to the wrong place.

My bird book says they come when there's a hard winter in Scandinavia. Is this good or bad news for the Bushcrafters due to go there?

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Funnily enough I was laid on my sofa for an hour yesterday morning, with my binoculars and watched a small flock of Fieldfares that were up in the oak tree outside my place.
First lot I've seen this winter.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
We've had fieldfare around Cambridgeshire for a couple of months now and in good numbers too. Not seen any waxwings yet, but I live in hope.

Dave

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
cheers chaps, was great to see these migrants arrive at las.

@Rockmonkey - grab your spotting scope and come up to watch them

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Haven't seen much lately, but then I haven't been out much lately. Fieldfares and redwings are always nice to see.

As posted elsewhere, I currently have a Blackcap feeding in my garden.

Marmite

Life Member
Feb 20, 2012
Gloucestershire
Thanks for sharing. I haven't seen any so far this year (past years have been regular visitors to the bird table) so this gives me some hope if I keep my eyes peeled. Great pic's.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE