Field strop

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Just wondering if anyone else has made one or even bothers carrying one. I have an old leather and canvas razor strop in pretty shoddy condition (i was learning to shave with an open razor at the time and nicked the bejesus out of some of the strop!) the top 8 inches or so are gouged and nackered but the bottom 8ish are more than serviceable. I was thinking cut it down and attatch it via carabiner to my bag to keep my knives (and razor for that matter) in better nick and keep them sharper on longer trips, or ones with heavier knife use.
Any reason I'm not seeing for this being a bad idea? Being leather it'll slot into or onto my bag anywhere with pretty much negligible weight I figured.
For that matter any suggestions how an old strop could be better used? Its covered in compound so I thought keeping it as it's original incarnation may be the best option

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
I generally just use a leather belt, which I tend to be wearing. I do have a small wooden backed field strop, but it doesn't see much use.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I considered that. But I do tend to use a stropping compound and don't fancy having that all over my belt!

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
The other thing I tend to use is a chamois leather and strop on my thigh. This method comes with it's own risks though!

knifeman

Forager
May 27, 2015
england
I have a little paddle strop that I made, it's always in my pack and very handy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE