Field Notes cover

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
Just finished my first field notes cover ( will also take a standard UK passport)

Veg tan leather finished in Fiebings Spanish Brown and 0.8mm Ritza Havana Thread. With a suede lining inside.

Also takes a couple of credit cards and an SD card, plus another full length pocket underneath these.

Untitled by Leaky5, on Flickr

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Lovely job there. Had I the skills to come close to making something like that and I don't, so this is certainly no criticism, I think I'd have continued the stitching along the closure rather than leave it grooved. :)

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
so this is certainly no criticism, I think I'd have continued the stitching along the closure rather than leave it grooved. :)
No thats fine and I did not really think about how I had finished the clousure, on the very first leather bag I did I made the sticthing follow right through to the end. Its only for me, I may add some stitching to finish it off.

Again one other thing I did not notice until I finished it, again not a major issue to me. It does not open naturally for a right hander.
If I hold the book in my left hand and open the clousure with my right hand, the note book is upside down on the left hand side.

I have some spare leather and I am also going to do a black more basic version, just two slots and magnetic closures on each corner. I will wet mould it along the fold as well to make sure it stays in closed better. I did not want to wet mould this one.

Reactions: beachlover

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
That's really nice. On the lookout for something similar for myself.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Double post by a bloke who forgot his glasses and tried to post on his iPhone!

Would someone kindly delete this please? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
Lovely job there. Had I the skills to come close to making something like that and I don't, so this is certainly no criticism, I think I'd have continued the stitching along the closure rather than leave it grooved. :)

but then wouldn't the cards etc. get caught on the stitching as you pushed them in?

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
but then wouldn't the cards etc. get caught on the stitching as you pushed them in?

Sorry Lou, me not being clear I think. I meant just carrying the stitching along the closure strap to the far left of the second pic, not to sew it to anything, but rather for the final overall aesthetic. :)

Reactions: Lou

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
No my fault, I see what you mean, yes. I didn't look closely enough at first pic. It's totally beautiful with or without that stitching anyway. I wish I had room in my bag for another leather thing like this ;-)

btw is that notebook a little like the waterproof ones you can get like 'rite in the rain'?

Reactions: beachlover

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
btw is that notebook a little like the waterproof ones you can get like 'rite in the rain'?

No, Field Note books are very popular in the USA. They are just a small (A bit narrower than A6) lined, plain or graph book available in various colours.
Still easy to get hold of in the UK, about £10 for 3 normally.

Edit. Have just found out they do a waterproof version as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lou

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE