field game/shoulder bag?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

adriaticus

Mar 31, 2013
Triest
I would like to upgrade my fishing/field bag with a new one, possibly made of canvas and leather. Filson makes great bags but they're off budget for me. I was considering a fjallraven vintage shoulder bag but somehow it looks more like an office satchel rather than something I could carry on the field, with camera lenses or muddy dummies . Barbour makes excellent bags too and sometimes you can grab a bargain with a vintage one.
I am wondering: is there any other brand that make decent canvas/leather bags, roomy enough for field use and stilish too, at affordable prices? thanks for the suggestions

adriaticus

Mar 31, 2013
Triest
both really nice but made in the US and very espensive. I was looking for something made in the UK maybe and in between

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
thank you guys ! Billingham bags look very nice

I have a Billingham 330, similar to this one...

F0Jx8ou.jpg

Nice looking bags, ones in this style are quite deep front to back and might be a little unwieldy for some, they do/did produce shallower models though.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I've had two of the Fjallraven bags, the first was just the regular G1000 and it was OK for a year of heavy use but the stitching started to undo I got it from The Sporting Lodge and the exchanged it for the Heavy Duty version, much better, a good hard wearing bag. Yes, it has some more 'towny' features but I like it and use it in the field regularly, a lot cheaper than the Barbour equivalent. Personally if I were to get another bag i'd look out for an old Brady game bag (actually I do look on Ebay on a regular basis but they go for silly money, must say something about them!) Have a look at some of the Jack Pyke bags, good quality on a budget.....:)

Just thought, I also have a North Face messenger bag that I have had for years, it doesn' t look the part but I have failed to break it in 10yrs and it's a good size, washable etc.....

Last edited:

adriaticus

Mar 31, 2013
Triest
Hello Swotty, I am still considering it however at £75 + postage it is a bit too pricey. I like the light kakhi model with brown leather, but for some reason here I can only find them with tan leather. It is a strong and cool looking bag indeed but for that money I would be tempted to throw in some more money and go for a Filson or Billingham.

adriaticus

Mar 31, 2013
Triest
this morning I took a quick decision and went for the fjallraven one. I found a good deal for the light khaki one through Ilovemykanken (sportinglodge) with 15% discount and ordered it. the coolest by far is the belstaff colonial bag but it's way off my pocket. Hope I won't be disappointed. :)

adriaticus

Mar 31, 2013
Triest
I thing I saw it. It's a camera bag, quite cheap and padded on the inside. It's an exact copy of the belstaff, i think the brand is koolertron, but there are no reviews on it...maybe too good to be true?

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
keep meaning to find out - its a repro - no particular reason why the belstaff should be so expensive so I dont see why it will instantly be a bad copy

adriaticus

Mar 31, 2013
Triest
Not saying that, but I learnt that you cannot save too much on equipment you may relay on, one day. So yes, Belstaff colonial bag is indeed too pricey (maybe thanks to hollywood advertisement in a movie), but on the repro bag there are no reviews and feedbacks. I would not discard it as bad, but I'd like to read some user review first

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
this morning I took a quick decision and went for the fjallraven one. I found a good deal for the light khaki one through Ilovemykanken (sportinglodge) with 15% discount and ordered it. the coolest by far is the belstaff colonial bag but it's way off my pocket. Hope I won't be disappointed. :)

I hope you like it, I have always found The Sporting Lodge to offer a good service...:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE