Field Butchery

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Can anyone recommend a Field Butchery course in or near Hampshire?

I make my own jerky and have had a few attempts of hot smoking with a biscuit tin smoker but would really like to learn the skills of Field Butchery so I could learn the process from start to finish.

Realbark

Aimless Wanderer
Jan 18, 2011
South Lincs UK
I cant recommend a course but i can recommend a book called Field Dressing and Butchering, Rabbits, squirrels and Other Small Game by Monte Burch. Hope this helps.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Problem is I’m more a hands on person to learn something so I never really get to grips with books. But thanks for the info.

Realbark

Aimless Wanderer
Jan 18, 2011
South Lincs UK
Problem is I’m more a hands on person to learn something so I never really get to grips with books. But thanks for the info.

I understand where you are coming from. However books are often a good starting point for the physiology of animals along with basic gutting, skinning and jointing techniques. I am self taught from that book re field butchery in spite of cock-ups along the way. Ive never had small game i didnt end up eating (or the dog) so........ Good luck in finding what you want mate.

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
You could try your local college perhaps, are you in Woolston? Isnt there still a decent butchers on the road that runs down to the old ferry point parallel with the Itchen bridge? you could ask if either they could do you something or if they know of a place running courses?

Realbark

Aimless Wanderer
Jan 18, 2011
South Lincs UK
Well IMO - field butchery dosent encompass pigs. And large game should (again IMO) be just paunched in the field with the rest done at home or base camp. So although you might be technically in the "field" you actually have access to a lot more aids, and therefore its not really field butchery. The HFW course looks ok and aspects of it look like a derivative of Charcuterie. Ive taken delivery of dead pigs several times and made everything from hams to bacon to sausages and pigs ears/trotters a la HFW. Im not demeaning any suggested courses - merely suggesting they are not really at the sharp end of field butchery. Im not an expert by any means but can get by quite comfortably with what i have learnt through practice and books. The local butcher idea is a good one but dont ask about the vacuum packed "fresh chicken".

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Real bark has a good point, from a hygiene point of view i would think butchering back at home would be the better option.

My suggestion would be You Tube, I have learned allot of butchery tips from there, some cracking tips on butchering game

Pigeon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6XsH1fHkMU
Deer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJDTvxS-4-I&feature=related
Duck http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvz-Wl9J1N0
Goose http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEMO4_jgtSM&feature=related
Rabbit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmvc7mQsnPI

Please dont click on these links if our not into that type thing, esp the goose one, there are loads more if you search on there!!!!

bearbait

If you have an "in" with any of the older farming folk in your area, or anyone who perhaps used to trespass in pursuit of game - or their counterpart 'keepers, they may be able to help. The older country folks can be a real mine of useful skills and interesting information.

Last edited:

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
You could try your local college perhaps, are you in Woolston? Isnt there still a decent butchers on the road that runs down to the old ferry point parallel with the Itchen bridge?

Sadly Lee the butcher closed down a couple of years back otherwise he would of been my 1st call.

RealBark: I’ll get the book so it gives me some idea of what I’m up against. But at £40+ i'll look for a 2nd hand copy.

Jonnytheboy: Thanks for the links.

Bearbait: Sadly I don’t know of any farmers in my area. But have recently joined a Hunting Field target air gun club so could ask the hunters for info.

One of the other reasons I’m interested is if I do go down the hunting route I would know what to do with a the bunny’s once I’d got them.

Last edited:

sparkplug

Forager
Jan 24, 2008
East Anglia
I help out with a "roadkill cookout" where we do demonstrations and encourage people to 'have a go' themselves with small game (rabbit, pheasant, squirrel) as well as some water dwellers such as live crayfish and less alive trout. We've also done snail, woodcock etc and always try to have a new 'guest' animal but TBH it's getting harder to find suitable candidates!

You'd be more than welcome and we make no charge (although donations to cover costs are appreciated) but we are at motorcycle related events which you would need to pay an entrance fee for.

We have two this year - both in June. One is in Bideford, Devon and the other is in Ripley, Derbyshire. The one in Devon is more 'travel' related and will be showing films of people who've made interesting journeys. This might appeal more if you're not into motorbikes :)

I'm not sure about the etiquette of 'advertising' the events publicly (not that they are my events or that I make any money from them) and I mention it only in response to your request.

I guess if people think it's OK I can post links to the events otherwise you can PM me and I'll pass on the details if this would be of interest - but it might take me a while to reply as I don't login every day!

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I help out with a "roadkill cookout" where we do demonstrations and encourage people to 'have a go' themselves with small game (rabbit, pheasant, squirrel) as well as some water dwellers such as live crayfish...

Please elaborate on this one. We usually cook crawdads whole. A pound or so of crawdads per person to be served along with a couple of small potatoes and a couple of ears or corn on the cob are added to well seasoned boiling water and cooked for about 5 minutes. No real butchery (or even field dressing) involved; just peel and eat. Rather like shrimp.

Last edited:

sparkplug

Forager
Jan 24, 2008
East Anglia
nothing much to elaborate on :)

We do show an easy way to get to the tail meat which is simply to detach the tail from the body and then 'fold' it between the thumb and forefinger in line with the tail and then to 'fold' it back the opposite way which splits it very nicely down the middle and the meat is then easy to get to and you have less waste.

We also take the opportunity to discuss the environmental aspect as in the UK our native species is under threat from the Americal Signal Red. Most of our 'audience' is not really bushcrafty so we like to slip some education in when they aren't looking! It's also the only thing (aside from snails) which we cook alive which some people find challenging but I hope it makes them think a little bit about animal welfare as well.

You are right though - it's not really butchery with those (unless you count showing them how to remove the digestive tract - but we purge them all to be safe)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
nothing much to elaborate on :)

We do show an easy way to get to the tail meat which is simply to detach the tail from the body and then 'fold' it between the thumb and forefinger in line with the tail and then to 'fold' it back the opposite way which splits it very nicely down the middle and the meat is then easy to get to and you have less waste.

We also take the opportunity to discuss the environmental aspect as in the UK our native species is under threat from the Americal Signal Red. Most of our 'audience' is not really bushcrafty so we like to slip some education in when they aren't looking! It's also the only thing (aside from snails) which we cook alive which some people find challenging but I hope it makes them think a little bit about animal welfare as well.

You are right though - it's not really butchery with those (unless you count showing them how to remove the digestive tract - but we purge them all to be safe)

Thanks. You say it's the only thing aside from snails that's cooked live? What about shrimp (prawns)? Or oysters? I would think they would be just as difficult to find any other way. I agree wholeheartedly with the concept though. Especially slipping in the education whenever the opportunity presents itself.

BTW Do you eat the crawfish heads (suck them actually) as the Cajuns do? I never could bring myself to do that but they relish it.

sparkplug

Forager
Jan 24, 2008
East Anglia
Prawns or Oysters would work - the problem is getting hold of a free supply! As I said, we don't charge so we can't really spend much money on sourcing the animals. If we can shoot it or catch it then it makes the list!

I personally do suck the heads and they have a 50% success rate. They are either really nice, or else they can be pretty much flavourless and just occasionally quite bitter! If you do decide to try, don't be put off if the first one isn't all that good...

They do make for a good fish stock though even if you don't eat them. Just boil them up, skim off any froth that floats up then strain the heads to leave a nice stock. You can reduce this down if you want a stronger flavour.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thanks very much! I'd never thought of making a stock from them. Also a tip for you more squeamish students: when cooking them live it's possible to put them in a state of sleep/hybernation 1st by placing a damp towel over the container of any shellfish and placing it on ice for at least 15-20 minutes before dumping then into the boiling water.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE