Field Archery Knife - suggestions for

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Ahh, i'm learning. UTD (up to date?) with this TL (text language?).

What a laugh.....
Cheers adi!

Jake :lol:

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Adi007 said:
Martyn said:
Adi007 said:
Off the page:

Sheffield O1 Surgical-Grade High Carbon Steel

What defines "surgical" steel? :?:

Nothing. It's a nonesense term.

Cheers! So why do so many knife makers use it? Is it just used to try to fox us?

Marketingspeek. I've always seen this term used to describe "stainless", since you'd expect surgical instruments to be of very high quality and be made of stainless steel. This is the first place I've seen O1 (oil-hardening tool steel) described as "surgical steel".

To be honest, I generally steer well clear of anything bearing the following:
"professional" or "professional quality"
"pro" or "pro quality"
"surgical"
since in my experience, such bla-bla generally seems to be synonymous with "grockle-fleecing crap".

Keith.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Adi007 said:
Martyn said:
Adi007 said:
Off the page:

Sheffield O1 Surgical-Grade High Carbon Steel

What defines "surgical" steel? :?:

Nothing. It's a nonesense term.

Cheers! So why do so many knife makers use it? Is it just used to try to fox us?

If something is surgical grade, then it should conform to EEC standards, regarding fit & finish, bio-conormability etc. But in the knifemaking community, you can take it to mean, BS designed to fleece the unsuspecting consumer. It's meaningless. Of far more importance is to know exactly what steel the blade is made from.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Martyn said:
If something is surgical grade, then it should conform to EEC standards, regarding fit & finish, bio-conormability etc. But in the knifemaking community, you can take it to mean, BS designed to fleece the unsuspecting consumer. It's meaningless. Of far more importance is to know exactly what steel the blade is made from.
Cheers, Martyn. That's very enlightening! :wink:

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
354584-Mods.jpg

found this pic over at knife forums, in the bottom of this pic you'll see the baby prybar made from an allen key, perhaps that'd help. oddly enough, digging arrowheads out of trees was one of the tasks in mind during the inception of the allen key prybar thingy. anything to save snapping the tip of your knife off.

use a rock or lump of wood as a hammer head.

cheers, and.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Why does the idea of a little pry bar appeal to me sooooooo much? :-D :eek:):

What size allen key was that?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE