Fibreglass bending?

dean4442

Nov 11, 2004
Wokingham UK
Hi guys I hope this is in the right place? I've got an old kayak that's ben converted into an open canoe the problem is the sides are shaped like this(_) and I'd like to staighten them a bit is this possible and how?
Over to you guys
Colin

May 18, 2009
Llandeilo, Wales
I think I would be worried about the structural integrity of it as it is without further messing about and stressing the GRP by attempting to straighten it. I'm not a GRP technician but I suspect that what you are considering is only likely to result in no boat at all. Maybe the best course is to learn to love it or buy/build a propper open canoe.

Templar

Forager
Mar 14, 2006
Can Tho, Vietnam (Australian)
hmmm... I would second what Taran said... but if you feel like a bit of experimenting you could try adding a plywood sill around the top and "gently" add a couple of cross members to hold it all in a more open position... just a thought.

dean4442

Nov 11, 2004
Wokingham UK
Cheers guys, it's a case of either sort it out so it's more useable or get rid of it (SWMBO wanted it gone ages ago!). I was planning on putting some wood strengthening on if I do manage to sort it but if it does go pop then nothing ventured nothing gained>

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE