Few general caring for knife questions from a beginner

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Deano3

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2012
Newcastle
Hi all i am new to this but have a few general care questions, i am just starting to get into camping etc i have been given a leatherman skeletool and someone has purchased me a gerber lmf ii but not recieved that yet, i want know how to protect them what oil etc ? i am a mechanic so would soaking in engine oil do the trick etc ?

also i need a sharpener or some kind what is the best trpe or one stone or poket sharpener etc i would like a pocked one for my camping bag aswel as a normal one

i also may buy axe at some point i have a folding saw but most people seem to have axe are they crucial or good to have etc ?

Thanks Dean

Expat

Forager
Feb 9, 2012
Dorset for good...!!
As far as knife care goes, there is no need to "soak"... Just a quick wipe with an oily rag will suffice.
BUT..... if you are going to use your blades for any food use, then engine oil is a very bad idea..
You really need to use an edible oil such as veg, canola or basically any other cooking oil.
Sharpening is something you should use the "search" function for as there are lots of different
stones and methods, and some folks swear by one method while others use something
completely different... very much a case of "try it, and see what works for you"....
Good luck with it all...

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Axe or saw is a preference question. Different tools for different jobs. Axe for splitting, limbing, or possibly for carving (few people use them for hewing or felling these days), saw for trimming and cutting.

I have both, and carry and use the saw much more.

Decide on the jobs that you will want done, and go with the tool that suits it best.

Got to say though, there's something very satisfying about owning and holding an axe that a saw just can't compete with. :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I prefer stainless steel blades so don't need oil really, but use veg oil on carbon blades. A saw gets used more than an axe (for me), get a little Laplander saw.

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
For a sharpener I'd look for a steel - handy for other things too like sharpening an axe. I've a Klein & an ancient Gerber Sportsman Steel. Brilliant for keeping things sharp & they don't need much looking after, don't need oil either. A quick strop on your leather belt afterwards & you're good to go. Keep your eye on the bay USA & you could get a bargain.

Deano3

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2012
Newcastle
thanks a lot for replys i have purchased a laplander folding saw but i might also buy a axe any recomendations for a cheap one ? less than £30 and anyone got links to decent sharpening steel are these the best instead of stones etc ? what is better Lansky Blade Medic Knife Sharpener or the bear grylls one or a steel just want to keep them sharp and i am a total novice so will have to practise with my blunt kitchen knifes,

thanks for all the replys so far
Dean

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Camellia oil is perfect for carbon steel knives and is 100% food safe, the Japanese have been using it on there treasured Samurai swords for many years and we can assume that they know a bit about blades and blade care. Ballistol is another good alternative, also food safe.
+1 on the Spyderco Sharpmaker, and if you are new to sharpening there is less chance that you will damage your knife.

Last edited:

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
I think the Gerber LMF is a stainless steel blade with a rubberised handle, so that should be a low maintenance knife other than sharpening, it does not need oiling.
I prefer to use Japanese waterstones for sharpening, but some people just use fine grade wet or dry paper glued on to a flat piece of wood. There are a few tutorials on youtube that may help you.But whichever you decide it would be a good idea to practice on your blunt kitchen knives as you suggested.

Deano3

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2012
Newcastle
thanks a lot for the replys very helpful i will have a look for the spyderco sharpener as know they are good brand aswel and sounds like a good begginers one also look d=for that oil to be double safe lol

thanks again
Dean

Deano3

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2012
Newcastle
anyone have a link to a cheap spyerderc sharpmaker ? do you mean the tri-angle one ? quite pricey but will keep looking but any links to it or which ever one you mean would be great

hennie haynes has it for £58 also on ebay for £55

not too bad as has excellent reviews

Last edited:

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
anyone have a link to a cheap spyerderc sharpmaker ? do you mean the tri-angle one ? quite pricey but will keep looking but any links to it or which ever one you mean would be great hennie haynes has it for £58 also on ebay for £55 not too bad as has excellent reviews

www.mindyourfingers.co.uk/P4410.html

£49.99 inc delivery,don't think you will get a new one much cheaper, but they do come up 2nd hand on here occasionally, and at www.britishblades.com

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE