Ferrorod

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
Scraper is important, hence why I think the PNW ones are so great. High quality materials, excellent scraper and a decent price. Plus the handle doubles as tinder... What's not to love!

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
The scrapers that come with the exotac plastic rods are excellent and by far the best i've ever used. The rod + striker can be had for about £13 so not too bad but a bit on the dear side since the rod itself is thin, but the scraper gets the best from cheap rods so can work out better in the long run.

Tonyuk

MaddogMatt

Oct 9, 2015
Suburban West Birmingham
The cheap Chinese blanks from eBay tend to be a bit hit and miss, especially the smaller (6-8mm dia.) sizes. I have found that if you type 'huge ferrocerium rod' the search brings up a load from the Philippines, some are 5" × 1/2", others 130mm x 13mm but they all seem decent. Technique is important so my opinion is that longer lasting means you can practice with it and not be concerned about wearing it out. They are probably not LMF standard, but harder so will last longer. Also the larger sizes tend to be more versatile, lightweight tinder can be pinned down as well as using it to throw sparks at fluffy tinder.

At around £3.50 you can't really go wrong either. If it's crap just keep it for lighting gas stoves.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
I find these scrapers quite good!

001 (593x600).jpg

HSS lathe bit tool steel inserted into antler or anything you want. Polished on wet stones. Really nice crisp edge that doesn't seem to mark, other than discolour, when used.

Real easy to do. kinda the same idea as the exacto striker, but bigger.

Reactions: plastic-ninja

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Hey.
These mate. not sure if they are available now though. Someone else here might know a contact over the pond that could clarify.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE