Ferrorod

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
Hi all , I'm thinking of buying a big ferrorod, I want one that sparks like a "Light my fire " model, anyone know of one?

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
I've had two or three different ones from eBay which are 13mm diameter and 130mm long, but never found them to be as effective as the softer 'light my fire' type. They are usually a medium grade containing more iron, but they last considerably longer and work well with a good technique and a sharp 90 degree knife spine or hardened striker. I will happily send you one to try out mate if you like?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
I'm well versed in ferrorod fire lighting, I've tried many but the light my fire ones I find the best, I was watching a YouTube video with Larry from Alone and he was putting a pathfinder rod up against a cheaper EBay purchase both quite large rods and it got me thinking about trying one out.
Most non LMF rods I have found really don't suit me, here's a few examples; Exotac (terrible), Ronnie Sunshine's (passable ), small shark designs (poor) and ebay Chinese exotac rip off (crap).

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
I just ordered a 130 x13mm rod from eBay, £11 isn't a fortune to lose if it's crap.
Sounds similar to the ones I mentioned earlier, same dimensions and same price, have to say that it's been absolutely fine... Not LMF standard, but does the job well with my knife spine as a striker. Had the cheaper stuff and some of those you mentioned- had a Webtex and an Exotac fracture when used.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

satosato

Forager
May 29, 2009
London
I got mine from a Chinese dealer on eBay, 1/2 x 6", that thing throws like Bonfire and it only cost around £5 I think. The name is Ping Long limited on Ebay. No affiliation just happy customer.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
I could be out on a limb here but I'm going to suggest that the striker is important too. Used many different rods and the strikers always seem to be the et down point.

I got a nice damascus one from USA, can't remember the name and recently made some myself with antler and tool steel. The really hard steel and well fiished 90* edge helps greatly in producing the shower of sparks.

Reactions: plastic-ninja

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I could be out on a limb here but I'm going to suggest that the striker is important too. Used many different rods and the strikers always seem to be the et down point.

I got a nice damascus one from USA, can't remember the name and recently made some myself with antler and tool steel. The really hard steel and well fiished 90* edge helps greatly in producing the shower of sparks.

your quite right but robs not a stranger to a well made firesteel scrapper ;)

• Haha
Reactions: plastic-ninja

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Rob, I've got a Primus large firesteel here still in its box. Yours if you want it.

I've also got one of the Hemlock ones with magnesium rod that I've hardly used.

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
Next time you break a piece of crockery (mug, Plate, Saucer etc.) try a piece of that as a scraper, you might be very surprised, better still though slightly less safe is a piece of glass, never found anything better even on the cheapest of ferro rods than a bit of beer bottle. A good bit of flint will work well too.

D.B.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE