Fenn Traps for rats ??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mark stotesbury

Forager
Oct 19, 2012
Cape Town South Africa
Hi
Has any one made use or uses fenn traps to catch rats ? We have a huge rat problem on a farm and looking to get a few fenn traps , they need to be honey badger proof so would need to be unbaited set in narrow concrete pipes .Have been using normal traps and cage traps but the ratels/badgers make short work of a steel cage with a live rat inside they also carry away or chew up the normal traps .

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Yes, fenn traps are very effective set in a pipe, you need the number 4, fenn trap and place the pipe along the wall of the building.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've used fenns in natural or constructed tunnels. Mk IV is fine, no need for the big boys. If the problem is as bad as you say, I doubt Fenns alone will solve it though.

mark stotesbury

Forager
Oct 19, 2012
Cape Town South Africa
The wildlife do help and the dogs hammer the population but its never enough . Having a badger dig up everything to catch rats is also a no no !! Poison is out of the question due to the owls , the best solution in our younger days was to shoot and catch a heap of puff adders in summer and release them into the sheds before we left the farm to go back home but now having kids and all their cousins running around on the farm during the school holidays and panicky moms insisting that every shed be inspected and every snake be collected we don't do that anymore , its amazing how little kids can find snakes what's more amazing is how p####d off mothers can get with fathers when the kids rush in to gleefully tell the mom that their new pet named Fat Albert just ate a rat and "dad said we can watch as long as we don't go too close" .......

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Yep, no4 fenn will do you right up mate....although getting rats out of a fenn trap (and then re-setting it) isnt my favorite thing to do
Know anyone who would like a bit of shooting?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Can you deny the rats food? Pouring concrete floors etc can help. Terriers are good and good poison discipline should make secondary poisoning unlikely.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
The carbon monoxide from car exhaust, piped under some grain bins was magic for my grandfather's farm.

Lot of people have given a new life to old chainsaws, converting them so they discharge their exhaust fumes down rat holes, I wouldn't know how to do it though.

Rob

pontyboy

Jul 24, 2014
south wales
Lot of people have given a new life to old chainsaws, converting them so they discharge their exhaust fumes down rat holes, I wouldn't know how to do it though.

Rob

Have someone weld a little stub to the exhaust at the manifold and secure a rubber pipe to it.Great fun for the dogs,really enjoyed myself and a great feeling of satisfaction putting a huge dent in the rat colony.

mark stotesbury

Forager
Oct 19, 2012
Cape Town South Africa
Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Grandpa had a section of decommisioned fire hose = that canvas stuff. Soaked it.
Backed his car up to each granary, hosed the foundation for a AM or PM.
Any junk hose or pipe, say 2", would be fine. If you cooked it, find another.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE