Fenix PD30 Premium R5 Review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hello folks,

I've got a Fenix PD30 Premium R5 torch and a few accessories in for review. The accessories are the Fenix red filter and camping lampshade, plus an Ortec headstrap. The plan is to test out the torch as a headlamp (with the red filter for night nav), and as a general camp light (with the camping lampshade).

I've only just got my hands on it and had a quick look yesterday afternoon (see the video). With a 257 lumen turbo mode it can be amazingly bright, but the lower power general settings seem to be quite sufficient for normal use. I'll be testing it out more thoroughly over the next three weeks or so and then I'll come back with a full review - if there is anything anyone wants to see in particular let me know and I'll see what I can do.

[video=youtube;jrlP4pG34o4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrlP4pG34o4[/video]

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Nice unboxing vid, nice light.

Bit of a Fenix fan meself, i've got 2 x LD01's a TK21 U2 and a TK35, really really impressed with both the quality and the VFM.

Was really tempted to get a PD30 for every day use, ended up pre-ordering the Zebralight SC600 instead though, fingers crossed it's a worthy risk.

Be interested to read/hear what you think after you've had a chance to put it through it's paces.

Nice unboxing vid, nice light.

Bit of a Fenix fan meself, i've got 2 x LD01's a TK21 U2 and a TK35, really really impressed with both the quality and the VFM.

Was really tempted to get a PD30 for every day use, ended up pre-ordering the Zebralight SC600 instead though, fingers crossed it's a worthy risk.

Be interested to read/hear what you think after you've had a chance to put it through it's paces.

It's the first time I've had my hands on a Fenix and I'm looking forward to getting out on the hills with it. The brighter settings are amazing, but I want to see just how good the lower settings are for extended use while night walking. The initial impressions are all good.

Tis a lovely torch, had one for about 3/4 months now, puts my old maglites to shame on everything but the battery life :)

Do you find the battery life a problem? What about the batteries themselves, have you tried rechargeables?

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Tis a lovely torch, had one for about 3/4 months now, puts my old maglites to shame on everything but the battery life :)

Guess it really depends on which Maglite you mean.

Compared to my Mini-Maglite with an incandescent bulb, well to be honest even the little LD01 is THAT much better there's no real comparison.

On my Minimag if i drained every last mV out of the battery i could get around 7 hours use, in real world terms though as far as "useful" light goes i'd only really have around 4 hours.
Obviously the newer LED versions of the Maglites are better, but even then they cannot compare even slightly with the outputs of the PD30.

If you cycle down the modes and find a brightness comparable with the Maglite then like for like (battery wise) there should be very little difference.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE