Felt Hat. Part 1.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shadow57

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 28, 2005
Glossop, Derbyshire
I fancied a bushy type hat for camping and such....so why not make one :) .

I purchased some merino wool from http://www.texere.co.uk/ (£9)and had a practice making some felt first. It's quite easy really. Basically, lay thin layers of wool in different directions and apply hot water,soap and massage (well something like that)

1st. I made a head shape mold from some dense polystyrene glued together with a diameter of 57 cm (Head shaped)

2nd. I wrapped a small poly bag around the mold to stop the wool sticking, then layered the wool thinly around the mold (Thin with lots of layers)

3rd. Boiling water and soap is applied (Start at top and work your way down)

4th. A thin mesh is layered over the wool to hold it in place.

5th. The whole lot is massaged firmly but carefully using soap and alternating with boiling and cold water (Be careful not to make holes).

It soon felts, then is rinsed out thoroughly ready for the next stage.

It's great fun John

Attachments

• hat 1.jpg
    hat 1.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 126
  • hat 2.jpg
    hat 2.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 100
  • hat 3.jpg
    hat 3.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 104
  • hat 4.jpg
    hat 4.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 106
  • hat 5.jpg
    hat 5.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 140

shadow57

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 28, 2005
Glossop, Derbyshire
The hat has been dried and roughly put into shape. As the photo shows, the wool still needs some more felting to make it smoother and some more shrinking. This is done by puttin the hat on the mold, covering it in a gauze and applying more soap, boiling water and lots of massaging. When little balls of wool start coming through the gauze, you know its properly felted,

The boiling water shrinks the wool fibres and the soap opens the microscopic hooks on the wool. The cold water does the opposite. The idea is to get the fibres to bond together tightly. :)

Attachments

• hat 6.jpg
    hat 6.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 166

shadow57

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 28, 2005
Glossop, Derbyshire
The next stage was to sew a leather sweat band inside the hat and then give it all a good hot iron.

Attachments

• hat 8.jpg
    hat 8.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 69
  • hat 9.jpg
    hat 9.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 64
  • hat 10.jpg
    hat 10.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 69
Reactions: British Red

shadow57

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 28, 2005
Glossop, Derbyshire
Thats correct clcukcow.....The next time I make a hat, I will make a disk of loosely felted wool, it should be a lot quicker.
When I applied the water, I sprinkled it on gently from the centre and worked it outwords.
The next stage is to add diluted shellac solutiononto the hat rim to stiffen the rim.

John :) :) :)

shadow57

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 28, 2005
Glossop, Derbyshire
I got some shellac varnish made up...and applied it to the rim of the hat :)

This dries very quickly ....1 hour...and makes the rim stiffer..

Attachments

• hat 12.jpg
    hat 12.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 47

shadow57

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 28, 2005
Glossop, Derbyshire
Sorry if the photo scares you....but I had a hard day at school.....but the kids thought the hat was kool :lmao:

Attachments

• hat 11.jpg
    hat 11.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 45

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE