Fed up and a little lost

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Pib,
It all depends on the organisation you volunteer with. Try and look for something that gives you a broad range of experiences, especially in the things that really interest you. I would also try to get some experience in doing some of the administration involved in the organisation. In this way you will be able to talk with the confidence of first hand experience and that should be obvious to the interviewer. Look at the National Trust, RSPB, your local Ranger Service or local conservation group. You can always do several or move around after a time depending on how much time you have.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
The BTCV runs activities and courses. You could also become a tree warden, Sussex has a good tree warden scheme. It gets you involved with the local council and they have some good free courses.

If you have a spare £6300 then the outdoor instructors course run by Bicton college is a must. Possibly the best oudoor course in the country.

Take the time to discover what you want to do. I used to be a mechanical engineer but really hated the corporate grind. I have no interest in making another investment banker richer and screwing the staff for every drop of blood.

The one skill I have is the ability to teach. It took a long time to develop a new role for myself but I certainly wouldnt go back to engineering. I am poorer but far happier.

Chase your dreams you have no idea where they will take you.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Wise words Wayne cheers,

I have the details for BTCV as recommended by yourself in the past, infact their details turned up the same day as the invite for the interview turned up, so if I'm honest I I haven't really had a good look at the stuff I was sent.

I think the biggest task ahead of me is going to be largely making my mind up as to where I want to go. Having spent some time discussing it with a couple of friends what really appeals is manufacturing using natural materials and hence the interest in coppicing and bodgers in general. I've also realised, through some rather pointed comments from my wife in particular, that I would be a real plank if I walk away from my current role which is as a trainer.

I share your sentiment re screwing and drops of blood. The training I provide, and have done for a number of years now, is for a law firm. I train staff in the art of Charging Orders, Attachment of Earnings, Bankruptcies and repossessions or more simply put legally kicking those who are down and all for major international firms.

I enjoy the contact with the trainees, the sharing but the environment and subject is what is tearing me up.

I've just checked out the College you mentioned and their courses seem ideal, but as with many, funds are an issue. However, I'm not after something for free so I'm going to need to spend sometime working on finances.

Thanks for the advice.

Pib

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Pibble............I do voluntary work for the countryside wardens at Horsham, mainly at Warnham nature reserve, I do plant surveying, reptile surveying and bird surveying, if you want I could get you involved, they are always glad of help, you don't need to be an expert, just enthusiastic. There is also the shelly woodlanders, up at shelly woods in itchingfield, where you can do voluntary work, including coppicing, charcole making and general woodland management. I can get you info on that, if your interested. I also do (sometimes) heathland management at St Leonards forest.............

Reactions: pibbleb and Toddy

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Jon you are a star.

I'd be very interested in all of the above. After deep and meaningfuls at home we're trying to organise more free time for me, so I would defo be interested.

I'm not sure what sort of time scale you are thinking but I'm away from Saturday, not the bushmoot I'm afraid :( , for a couple of weeks.

I would be really interested in the woodlanders as well.

Cheers Jon

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
I didn't get the job - although I was considered suitable for the post, I was not considered the most suitable candidate.

The more I think about this the more depressed I'm getting. :(

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Womble said:
I didn't get the job - although I was considered suitable for the post, I was not considered the most suitable candidate.

The more I think about this the more depressed I'm getting. :(

Sorry you didnt get the job mate. At least you got a rejection letter that was positive. Give the people a call and ask what you need to do to make yourself the most suitable.

Its a numbers game mate keep plugging away and you will find that job your after eventually. Each interview along the way is just a practise session.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I went for an interview at a company called Bloomberg, I was really keen to work there due to how good their reputation was and all of the perks you get. Anyhow I had a telephone interview and it went well and they called me in for an interview, I was then interviewed by a person from the HR dept. and then a manager finally I spent a morning familiarising myself with the job. I honestly thought it'd gone really well and I had been relaxed (but not too relaxed) and had got on with the people interviewing me. I then never even got a reply telling me I wasn't successful, I waited a few weeks and then realised I'd been blown out. However I really thought it was a bit off that they never even had the decentsey to write me a rejection letter even though I’d attended two interviews with them.

I can understand how you feel pibbleb as I was really gutted about not getting it. But I look back on things and see that if I'd taken the job my life would have been different and things that have occured since would never have happened. So in a way it isn't bad.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Pibbleb, keep ya chin up mate. I would recommend doing some of the voluntary work that Jon has mentioned as it will give you something to add to the C.V so to speak. I have just registered myself for a couple of similar things in my area helping doing coppicing and clearing and have just had an offer back from the Woodland trust for some voluntary work in my area, with this experiance I hope that in a few years I will be in a good position to move out of the IT game and into something that captures my imagination a bit more. Don't rush it, and the right thing will come along for you.

Best of luck

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Womble just got back from my Hol's sorry to hear the news, I guess what I've learnt is to keep on looking, ask for advice and accept any offer of assistance. The guys hear know everything.

Pib :)

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
pibbleb said:
This is only a bit of a moan about not getting a job and I just wanted to get it off my chest.

having worked in an office for 9 years as a training supervisor and spending 8 years wishing I had a job outside I finally applied for a job with a local authority which would have been ideal.

Basically it was to work with a Park Ranger part of the week, but also provide office support and apply some system development experience.

I had an interview 3 weeks ago which seemed to go really well, at last I could smell the fresh air and freedom. Anyway I was told I would hear in a few days.

Well three weeks on I finally got the rejection letter, reading between the lines they'd obviously job offered someone else and were waiting to cut me loose once they had received the references or the other bod had signed the contract.

I'm well gutted and really dreading another day at the office. Anyway tomorrows another day. Cheers for the space to rant. Hope it makes sense.

P

Hi mate,
I was working as an artist drawing cartoon movies for several years, after that I spent 6 years as computer animation director. Getting enough with the industry I moved with my wife up to the north of sweden. I dont have an regular education and as none needs a artist in a mining comunity, I was unemployed for quite a while. That in itself was a challange for the mind, first being well payed, holding a position with authority and now nothing, standing naked in the wind.

If you are unemployed for a while you get a job from the goverment, and so I am working in a nature protection program building playgrounds for trout and salmons. We are 10 hours everyday in the woods far away from any town or city working in the rivers, streams and woods. I have no education but learn a hell of a lot every day about fish, rivers, river crossing, river speed etc.

Why do I tell you all that stuff about myself. There is always a door if you dare to go. The first days I was a bit deppressed as I got the feeling being a looser who is doing heavy work in a working camp in siberia. We are moving big stones together rebuilding the rivers as they where 100 years ago. Everything is done by hands no maschines. It sits mainly in the mind. I often wonder when people tell that they want to live a bushcraft life but they never dare to step out. If you dont have a family why dont you simply quit, take your money move to a place where they are open that you help them and live with them. Maybe they dont pay you but you get food. The trouble will not be that you could live a bushcraft life the trouble is your mind.

I met a guy two weeks ago who is living with very very little money, he was living in the woods for one year, eating roadkills, sometimes he was dumpster diving, he is not using trains but hitchhiking etc etc. As he wanted that forest life so badly, not working for someone he paid the prise and got it. I could not do it but he did.

If you dont get a open door in your country, through a paid system, school etc etc open your mind for other solutions. There is for sure a way but the question is if you are willing to pay the price.

good luck
Abbe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE