Feather Flower

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I was practicing my feather stick making earlier this afternoon and although i didn't start out with this in mind, it soon became a personal challenge to finish it, when it became apparent i was going to get a good feather stick out of it.

DSCF0627.jpg

I dread to think how many curls there are in this, the feather flower is made from a single piece of seasoned Hazel, the stick started off with a diameter of approx 3/4", and the feathered section stands at a good six inches tall, I'm going to try and make some more as soon as i get up the woods and gather some more dead standing Hazel rods.

I think just one of these would be good enough to start a fire up the woods, although in reality it would be a shame to burn it.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
There is still a bit of stick there - unfinished in my eyes :)
Other than that...a pretty fair effort!

Actually that is stunning!

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
>>> feather flower is made from a single piece of seasoned Hazel, the stick started off with a diameter of approx 3/4", and the feathered section stands at a good six inches tall <<<

Very nice ~ I think that might count as the ultimate bushy gift wrap bow ;)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Cheers Sean, the match sticks are for the obsessive like John and I:cool:, like those there flowers of yours, so come on then how did you do them?, apart from carefully:)

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Lovely flower, good and thick with plenty of petals, looks like a hyacinth to me.
I have never tried a match stick before, but these are my smallest so far
baby-flowers.jpg
I find it hard to make em that strict "flower" form. Easier to make em like the first post but some like those too.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Sorry if theres another thread (search pulled nowt up) that covers this but today in a charity shop I saw a small carving of a perched bird of pray and the tail and wings were done by feathering the wood. Has anyone done one that way?

ATB

Tom

Sean Hellman

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2009
devon
www.seanhellman.com
Cheers Sean, the match sticks are for the obsessive like John and I:cool:, like those there flowers of yours, so come on then how did you do them?, apart from carefully:)

I used very thin and dryish willow and a small knife, quick to make. I would assume they are far easier to make than from match sticks with the hazards of the grain running out. I am going to have a go with a match stick, I can be obsessive too:)

Travelling folk have made flowers for a long time, cutting wood from the hedgerow and using just a knife, a technique I have not mastered yet. They would often dye them and sell bunches of them door to door.

Try this if you dare http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iome0_REpXw a joy to watch such a master at work. Is this what you saw Tombear?

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Didn't the Romanies used to make flowers like that?

Yep which is why most people call them Gypsy flowers. I had a quiet afternoon making some and giving them to anyone I met. I left a couple that was at the woods for the first time a bunch of them.. The woman thought they were real
No photo's, but I love whittlin' them from toothpicks
BEWARE Its addictive
Gypsyflowers.jpg

Drawknife3.jpg

Even with my home-made drawknife
Gypsyflowersinthewild2.jpg

Gypsyflowersinthewild.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2011
Nottingham
The woman thought they were real

They do look real. I can understand how you might mistake them for real ones if you left some of those in the woods. They kind of remind me of the thistle flower somehow.

I also watched the Sasano-Bori Carving Technique and I was amazed. So serious stuff! It looked great once it was finished. I am by far nowhere near that technique.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE