Favourite Things in Fire Starting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Favourite Fire starting method?

• Total voters

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
as i'm quite new I only use a Ferro rod ATM but im looking into the possibility of making my own steel striker, with the experience gained whilst making my first knife I think I could do it and would certainly have a laugh giving it a go!!

But back to the OP I use A ferro rod with birch bark or cotton wool soaked in petroleum jelly. I also like to use Ash wood as it takes the worry out of finding seasoned wood

Dave

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
I also like to use Ash wood as it takes the worry out of finding seasoned wood. Dave
Would you care to expand on that, Dave?

I was taught the use of a fire-drill by a Forester in the 70's and always carry a mag-rod and various materials I know will ignite readily, cotton wool, old-man's-beard, birch bark, etc, and am always on the lookout for combustibles as I go. Old-man's-beard is common in Scotland and is available all year round, as is bog-cotton. Both dry off at body temp... eventually. I carry one or two of those little black horse hoofs found on birch, which has been charred. They'll take a spark easily!

In any other situation than a good day and time on my hands though, my first choice as a source of heat is a mechanical gas lighter. I also carry rubber and a wrapped fire-lighter. I carry a little petrol stove, so always have petrol, but throwing petrol at a fire is a waste of fuel... 2 tablespoons of petrol will burn for 10 minutes if put in a small container with sand or gravel... wet or dry! In fact, the colder, dreicher and more miserable the day, the longer it will burn for.

Matches get wet, as do electronic lighters, there is no room in my kit for unreliable tools!

There have been occasions where I've escaped from mountain weather by the skin of my teeth, hopefully in an area with a forest at hand. A bow-drill, fire-steel or mag-rod are of no practical use if your hands don't work and your teeth are rattling around in your head, so my mainstay is the quickest and least painful way of getting fire!

You know what they say, 'Any fool can be cold, wet and miserable!'

Cheers.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
For me my favourite thing about fire-lighting is achieving success. The result (a fire) is far more satisfying than the method I use to light it.

PeterHW

Forager
Dec 31, 2005
U.K.
I started lighting fires in the scouts as a young lad .... back then it was the kudos of doing it with one match .... now in Bushcrafting circles it seems Flint and Steel shares the same podium on kudos .... the more I have need of a fire though the less the method matters .... satisfaction wise I like a fire drill .... no greater feeling of success and accomplishment ....

My most common method and the one that has given me a fire when I appreciated it most is using a lighter with a small strip of inner tube rubber to get it going .... that method gives me a fire in a down pour all the time .... every time .... so it gets my vote as my favourite method :campfire:

Have to say that the miracle of friction still makes me smile and feel like an alchemist. The bow drill is a pleasure to use but I can only ever aspire to win at the hand drill I think. I would love to be able to do it, you, + skill + drill + hearth board. Anyone near Wiltshire/South Glos care to show me how!?

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Lighter naturally!, and birch bark. I've proven to myself I can use other methods and I carry a lot of other firestarting equipment with me.

So, lighter, if that fails firesteel, if that fails bow drill, if that fails char cloth + flint, if that fails I go home and pick a different hobby =)

Dormouse

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2010
UK
I like using a firesteel. I'm only usually lighting a hexy block for a brew and as a smoker I always have a lighter with me, but I really enjoy the shower of hot sparks and the sound of the firesteel being struck.

baz p

Nov 16, 2010
manchester
i think my fave has to be paper birch bark and fire steel and lots of little birch twigs, even when damp you are guaranteed to get a warm brew

W0lf

Tenderfoot
Apr 27, 2009
London
Birch bark is my favourite, followed by honey suckle using friction - still perfecting this one :). However for man-made my favourite must the 'amazing cotton ball' as coined from someone on the Internet. Instead of cotton balls soaked in Vaseline they are soaked in gel candle wax. On first impressions they last three times longer and are fully waterproof (can be used on snow or in sodden ground) and can still be started with a firesteel. I've always thought they could replace using inner tube for when it's really wet which means using a firesteel instead of a lighter which feels more reliable! (IMO).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE