Favourite Things in Fire Starting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Favourite Fire starting method?

• Total voters
G

Ginja

Favourite method? Magnifying glass - there's just something about this method that I really like; be it the fact that it's fairly effortless, it reminds me of time spent as a kid, and needless to say, it's goes hand-in-hand with sunny days!

Most frequently used method? Firesteel and lighter (the former mostly in summer, the latter mainly in winter - especially when it's blowing a gale and I'm trying to brew up, an occasion when the satisfaction of more traditional methods is often outweighed by the need hot tea, fast!).

And if I lost my firesteel and/or lighter? Then I'd have to dust down my fire by friction expertise (which ain't great, I'll admit!). Or find a tree and wait for some lightening ... Stone Age stylee!

G :)

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
leon-1 said:
Jeff, I am one of the many with an addiction to the evil nicotine, you would probably have to prise my fingers away from my lighter.
In an effort to quit I'd only allow myself a rolly if I lit using a flame I'd produced without recourse to lighter, matches or the gas hob. It's amazing how fast you pick up fire lighting skills when you're desperate.

Lost my steel ? - I'd just scout around for friction materials or a handy bit of flint. The steel/flint stick etc just happens to be my fave method - aside form anything else I can light a blow torch with it in the workshop.

Realgar

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Not Sure I recognise that one do you have link or pic as I am experimenting with everything. The Hand drill I'm still not all that reliable but my bow and drill is OK. I just like the feeling I get the fire seems warm when I have but so much effort into it.

James

I am unfortunately unable to post a photo however you can find it here.

http://www.cloudnet.com/~djeans/FlwPlant/Mullein.htm

I had been frustrated by the hand drill for a long time and since discovering this weed I am now having success each and every time. I can consistently get an ember now with 3 - 5 passes down the shaft - time required is perhaps 25 seconds. Its really quite amazing and I very much like having the capability of making fire from only the materials at hand. The preparation time for this set up is minimal and I dont have to worry about making cordage for a bow drill.

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
tomtom said:
wheres the cheapest place to get me hands on a flint and steel?

That is a serious question, right? The trick is to deal with the two components separately, then marry them together.
Flint you can pick up from the ground (there's a few million tons of it lying around hereabouts).
The steel can be any old chunk of, well, steel! Bits of low carbon mild steel ironmongery will generally do the trick: old horseshoes or gate hinges, for example.

Burnt Ash

leon-1

Realgar said:
leon-1 said:
Jeff, I am one of the many with an addiction to the evil nicotine, you would probably have to prise my fingers away from my lighter.
In an effort to quit I'd only allow myself a rolly if I lit using a flame I'd produced without recourse to lighter, matches or the gas hob. It's amazing how fast you pick up fire lighting skills when you're desperate.

Lost my steel ? - I'd just scout around for friction materials or a handy bit of flint. The steel/flint stick etc just happens to be my fave method - aside form anything else I can light a blow torch with it in the workshop.

Realgar

Although not overly bushcraty, the point was that I always have a lighter. One of my instructors always said that rather than "FAF" around with anything else, if you have a small Bic in your kit it saves a lot of hassle. This could be seen on the Ray in the Jungle bit.

Unfortunate as it seems to have replaced traditional knowledge, it is still a handy thing when you cannot get an ember by any other means.

The Major thing is to not let traditional skills die, be it a hand drill or firebow or any other means of starting fire. Reliance on one thing may be the difference and I think that Jeff already mentioned that, if we diversify then we will be able to start fire no matter what (unless of course we are submerged) :)

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
My favourite has to be Firesteel with favourite tinders being cattail down, birch bark and red cedar scrapings.

I like the Indian fire lay and also the log fire for long cooking.

I hope to make and master the bowdrill set before my 14th birthday even though it is unlikely that I can do it by then..

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
I also like using charcloth but have a limited supply of it as i haven't had the chance to make some more on the BBQ yet. It is a great material!

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I Like the swedish firesteel because it's like your own little firework display watchin' them sparks fizz and crackle as they bring your fire to life. Second is the bow drill cuz it's sort of basic and earthy.

Fave tinder is cattail down and dry bracken

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Firemaking is one of our oldest skills and rich in social and individual meaning. From the most ancient african hearths, Prometheus and Jack London's To Build A Fire and finally a rocket burning toward the heavens it is deep in our core of humanity. People expect me to have some impressive parlour tricks with fire. I am competant with most. But I like matches. My grandmother had a huge brick fireplace with a tin matchbox bearing a knacker's logo from an agrarian Los Angeles long vanished. My twit younger brother tried to light some matches and made a broken mess without success. Then with it's discovery he blamed me! I was so wronged at this injustice I resolved to " do the crime" and at least succeed where he failed. So I waited until late at night, secured a supply and secreted myself behind a huge Sycamore in the back yard by the fishpond. I gathered my bit of newspaper, scattered twigs and bark and a few smaller bits of fuel from the stacked woodpile. I built my fire and sat there listening to the frogs, crickets and local Greathorned Owl. When my fire burned out I slipped back in minutes before everyone woke up. :chill:

What's your favourite way of starting a fire? (apart from fire by friction).
BlastMatch (so I picked "other" in the poll since FireSteel is a particular brand of ferrocerium rod.)

And what firetype do you like best?

Chaos

What natural tinder do you like best?

Fatwood

masongary44

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 6, 2004
Leeds, England
It has to be bow drill / friction fire. The satisfaction you get from taking easy to find materials, wherever you are and conjuring a miracle from it :) is second to none (fire steels are pretty cool too though)

:chill:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE