Favourite socks.

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
Around the christmas period i recieved a pair of 1000 mile walking socks. i have since worn these on every outdoor encounter since and although i'm sure i havent approached anything near the 1000 mile mark these socks are still in perfect condition and as comfy as the first time i wore them.

Not very exciting but what are your favourite outdoor socks?

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Smartwool are my favourites, 1000 Mile a close second. Tried Thorlo and Bridgedale and both sorts shredded my feet, worst blisters I've ever had.

I bought a pair of the 1000Mile "ultrawool" socks last week to test for a big hike. They're not the usual double layer design but seem pretty good so far. Like Smartwool, however, all of these fancy socks are a damn sight more expensive than the ragg wool socks I started hiking in... nearly fainted when I saw the price tag.

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Not very exciting but what are your favourite outdoor socks?

I wear pure wool socks that I get fairly cheeply from Edinburgh Woollen Mill. Got thick, not so thick, and really thin. I mix them about according to the weather and I always wear two pairs. Kind of old school I suppose - but it works - not had a blister ever and walk loads in them (I call anything under 10 miles a stroll)

In Wood

Nomad
Oct 15, 2006
Leyland, Lancashire.
There is a sock review in this issue (13) of Bushcraft & survival Skills magazine that is worth a read. ;)
Being tested were Thorlo, Bridgedale, 1000 Mile, Woolpower and Seal skinz.
So covers a good range, Thorlo came out on top.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I had some thorlos, Hated them. of all the walking socks I own, they are the ones guaranteed to give me blisters.
Granted, they work for some, just not for me.I'll stick to my bridgdale socks.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I got some sealskins - i bought em as my Brasher boots are 4 years old (and still going strong!) but they are not as waterproof as they should be.

I wear them mainly in the winter with a thin pair or normal socks underneath. They are excellent at keeping the water out.

I dont tend to bother with them so much in the summer months as your feet just get drenched from the inside -out

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
anybody tried "seal skinz" socks? do they have any advantages other than being waterproof?

No other advantage. If you want/need waterproof socks get army surplus MVP socks (the black ones), longer in the leg, not lined so dry out much quicker and only about £8 as opposed to £30 plus. Best of all they are made by Sealskinz so same quality.

Edit: For illustrative purposes only : http://www.militarymart.co.uk/prod5.asp?prod_id=8161&id=189

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I've got sealskinz sox, use them for canoeing and sleeping in (not at the same time!)

They keep you pretty toasty, even when your boots are soaked through as they were on saturday. I wouldn't really want to walk a very long way in them though.

Cheers,

Alan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE