Favourite movie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
O

oilyrag

Can't believe nobody has mentioned Wilderness (2006). Bunch of young offenders go on a bushcraft course on an uninhabited Scottish Isle, only to find they have company.....

OK, it's not going to win any Oscars but it's topical, funny and should be essential viewing for all people going out for a few nights in the woods. Certainly worth downloading (not that i condone such shenanigans)

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
Last of the Dogmen
13th Warrior
Southern Comfort
Cross of Iron
Jeremiah Johnson
Nevada Smith
Point Blank( Lee Marvin )
Breakheart Pass
Call of the Wild
The Proffessionals ( Burt Lancaster )not Bodie and Doyle ! )

--------------------------------------------------------

Darren

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Good thread - many old favourites spring to mind there - thanks for reminders about Gregory's Girl and Ice Cold in Alex - neither of which I have watched in a while!

For me one glaring omission in an otherwise pretty good list is "The Committments" - surely one of the best "musical" movies ever made - rivals the Blues Brothers for me.

Others I may have missed but don't recal anyone mentioning

Mask - Chers best ever performance - I howled at the end of it
Erin Brokovich (sp) - Everyone likes a good "stick it to the big bad company" movie!
Seven - made me jump a few times
Legend - classic fantasy
A company of Wolves - fairy tales for grownups
Domino - goot love Kiera in DMs :eek:
Kes - good Northen grit
The Last Samurai was surprisingly good too
Alltime best action? Well most of the Eastwood ones are great - any of "the man with no name" movies but "Pale Rider" perhaps or "High Plains Drifter", but if you want the best ever "Once Upon a Time in Mexico" - just a great shoot em up!

Red

O

oilyrag

I will look our for that OilyRag do you know if its repeated on any channel or on DVD? It sounds a good watch

I sent details in a pm. Here's the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D28FiSfJjA

My Top 10 Movies (with trailers where available) are:

Clerks II (2006): The best of the Kevin Smith movies.
The Godfather part II (1974): Pacino and DeNiro at their best.
The Shawshank Redemption (1994): Compelling story of hope.
Deliverence (1972): If man rapes the wilderness.....
Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981): More movies should be like this.
idi i smotri (1985): Best and most powerful war movie ever made. Truly harrowing and spellbinding, you'll be sat there when the credits roll, unable to speak. Ray Mears has introduced most on this forum to the Belorussian partisans in his Extreme Survival series.
Goodfellas (1990): For the cheeky chappy in us all.
The Beach (2000): This movie set me off all over Asia, changed my life for the better. Oh, I've been to both the movie location and the location in the novel.
The English Patient (1996): Sad love story with amazing cinematography.
Downfall (2004): Second best war movie ever, shows Hitler as a human being, which is something really scary.

Hope you find something new in there.

O

oilyrag

Here are a few extra standout movies:

9th Company (2005): The movie that Platoon could have been. Follow young Russians journey through training and deployment to Afghanistan. Much better than the crappy voice over suggests.

Diên Biên Phu (1992): Not the official trailer, the only clip I could find. The Director was an Army cameraman at the battle, the movie is realistic as a result.

Shooting Dogs (2005): A better movie than Hotel Rwanda, less 'Hollywoodized'. The story of the Rwandan genocide in brutal detail.

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Here's my top ten, no real order except for the top two :cool:

Fear and loathing in las vegas
Silence of the lambs
Dodgeball
Apocalypse now (when)
Full metal jacket
Kill bill (the series obviously)
National lampoons xmas and summer vacations
Trainspotting
Quadrephenia
Pulp Fiction

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
For bushcraft themes - gotta be THE EDGE with A Hopkins, billionare who crashes in the Arctic wilderness and uses a we book tooutsmart a bear. Well filmed and Ellie 'the body' McPherson is in it.

Director:Lee Tamahori

Writer (WGA) David Mamet (written by)

Release Date:27 February 1998 (UK) more view trailer
Genre Drama / Action / Adventure / Thriller more
Tagline:They were fighting over a woman when the plane went down. Now, their only chance for survival is each other.
Plot Outline:A billionaire and two other men are stranded, unequipped, by a plane crash in a dangerous wilderness. How many will survive to be rescued? more

I had forgotten about this one. It is fabulous, a great story. I even tried to find the book Hopkinns gets as a present! No luck though, must have been made up for the film:p

Ran
Rashomon
American Psycho
One flew over the cuckoo's nest
Once upon a time in the west
Satantango
Repo man
Dancer in the dark
Spirited away
Howl's moving castle
Napoleon dynamite
Team America
The big lebowski
Jesus' son

Too many to list here, the amount of quality films out there is becoming infinate

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
Here we go then, my top ten are:

Platoon
Black Hawk Down
Starwars (all counted as one)
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Saving Private Ryan
84 Charlie Mopic
Blade Runner
Hot Fuzz
The Last Samurai
The Dukes of Hazzard

Honourable mention goes to Southern Comfort, Full Metal Jacket, Shaun of the Dead and Kill Bill.

Stewey.:D

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
The Big Blue goooood movie I love Jean Reno you a fan of the director fella?
What about Delicatessen????If you dont mind sub titles that is,,,,,,ooo Crouching Tiger...... forgot about that....lets face it there are loads..D

logray

May 27, 2007
Coleraine
First Blood

"You don't seem to want to accept the fact you're dealing with an expert in guerrilla warfare, with a man who's the best, with guns, with knives, with his bare hands. A man who's been trained to ignore pain, ignore weather, to live off the land, to eat things that would make a billy goat puke. In Vietnam his job was to dispose of enemy personnel. To kill! Period! Win by attrition. Well Rambo was the best"

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The book was much. much better than the film!

A truly great read - sadly knowing the book made the film a rather sad affair for me - it turned a tragic tale of two strong men forced into conflict into a "shoot em up".

The book was by David Morell - I heartily recommend it (just remember its not even vaguely like the film - its deep, dark and makes you think)

Red

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
First Blood

"You don't seem to want to accept the fact you're dealing with an expert in guerrilla warfare, with a man who's the best, with guns, with knives, with his bare hands. A man who's been trained to ignore pain, ignore weather, to live off the land, to eat things that would make a billy goat puke. In Vietnam his job was to dispose of enemy personnel. To kill! Period! Win by attrition. Well Rambo was the best"

Your worrying me!:eek:
You have watched that film tooooooo many times!:lmao:

Got to admit though its one of the best!!!:naughty:

tim wakefield

Mar 19, 2007
nottinghamshire England
Ice cold in Alice
Dambusters
last of the dogmen
death hunt (Charles Bronson, Lee Marvin)
Shaun of the Dead
Dog Soldiers
dunkirk (anything with Sir John Mills)
Island in the sky (John Wayne)
and you're all right about Jimmy Stewart. (It's a wonderful life is the Christmas movie)

logray

May 27, 2007
Coleraine
The book was much. much better than the film!

A truly great read - sadly knowing the book made the film a rather sad affair for me - it turned a tragic tale of two strong men forced into conflict into a "shoot em up".

The book was by David Morell - I heartily recommend it (just remember its not even vaguely like the film - its deep, dark and makes you think)

Red

I do love the film and I knew it first but I have read the book and I totally agree. The book is outstanding. I recommend anyone who hasn't read it to pick it up.

Forget those stupid sequels (I will go to see Rambo IV though when it comes out .. couldn't resist it..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE