Favourite Forest-type

Favourite Forest-type

• Total voters

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
I couldn't find the woodland chatter forum. :?:
Sorry if this is :repost:

What sort of forest you like best?? Woodland, coniferous, mix or other... :biggthump

Cheers.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
About This time of year magic forests spring up in tired urban centers. I got utterly lost in one a few years ago. I remembered the basic survival precept of staying put and the children's HUG A TREE program. My G/F at the time finally found me. We went to a restaurant, where, gaunt and tired I drank several cups of coffee and related fending off a charging rat. She suggested we go back in daylight to choose her Christmas tree. :nana:

Nightfall

Forager
Sep 2, 2004
Nothren Califorina
I voted other, I love both woodlands{broad leaf or deciduous} and conifers.I grew up in Iowa,the Mississippi River was my backyard. I spent alot of time hunting and fishing on the river or in the woods around it. Now living in Californiathe, forests around me are all coniferous. The only broadleaf forests around me now are found in stream areas. To me there will always be something special about being srounded by the green of the forest and coming over a ridge into a stream bed colored in shadesof red, orange, and yellow.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I think you guys have got forests we can only dream of here in Britain.

But I do like a mix of old woodland and coniferous. I think in the New Forest recently they cleared some undergrowth and found that an Oak tree was hidden behind which is thought to be 500 years old. :shock:

Bill

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
I most love the individual character of the trees in mixed woodland but - while I don't like huge uniform swathes of conifers as was typical of forestry planting in the lake district many years ago there is a distinctive atmosphere walking in that oddly open, shaded landscape of bare trunks between a carpet of pine needles and a canopy far above.

There's far too little forest in the world. I'll take all I can get and be grateful for it !

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Yep, I agree. I'm thinking that anything that the John Muir Foundation has to do with, is a good project.

When I was a young man, I had the opportunity to wander the John Muir woods here in California. It was an outstanding outing and I've been meaning to get back to them and wander a little more. That is, if some brilliant jerkwater hasn't cut them down yet.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Mixed wood for me

Ancient woodlands moreso than newer (less that 100yrs old) and purely deciduous coming in at a favourable No 2 :wink:

leon-1

The mix has got to be a runaway favourite, hasn't it :wink:

Love mixed woodland the colour tones and depth as well as the mix of wildlife, it just cannot be beaten :eek:):

I agree about the John Muir Trust as well, the work that they do is tops IMO :biggthump

hootchi

Settler
tenbears10 said:
This looks like a good project to me.

Bill
I looked into that for the residential section of my gold DofE. I didnt do it though, instead i did conservation work on Lundy island for a week, highly reccomended to anyone. PM if you are interested??!!

I have gone with the... mixed. It is the best of both worlds, there are alot of resources available in both but i am thinking there may be more in deciduous woodland.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Is somebody digging up the most ancient threads with polls in and voting? This is the second one I've noticed tonight, look how old the thread is!!

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I assume that 'woodland' means broadleaf woodland? If there is a good mix then you can do just about anything. I am surrounded by coniferous in my part of the world, but it's great to have something like birch amongst it. :D

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Local to me is all deciduous woodland but I have this image burned into my mind that I often recall like a dream I once had but cannot remember of a sparse coniferous scene carpeted in thick snow with a light snowfall that is absolutely and so silent that it's deafening.

I would love to find this place one day.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
ChrisKavanaugh said:
About This time of year magic forests spring up in tired urban centers. I got utterly lost in one a few years ago. I remembered the basic survival precept of staying put and the children's HUG A TREE program. My G/F at the time finally found me. We went to a restaurant, where, gaunt and tired I drank several cups of coffee and related fending off a charging rat. She suggested we go back in daylight to choose her Christmas tree. :nana:

:lmao:

Nice post :)

Best regards,
Paul.

Floyd Soul

Forager
Jul 31, 2006
The woods, Ireland.
Mine would be temperate broadleaf native to Ireland. Old growth with trees from six month saplings to 600 year old oaks.

Main canopy of oak and ash with understory of hawthorn, hazel, and holly. Then lots of bluebells, ramsons and wood anemones. The kind you'd find before we invented the axe!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE