Favourite Cooking Smells ?

moab

Forager
Apr 26, 2007
UK
After a long hard day tromping through the brush / around camp / paddling etc what is your favourite cooking smell?

For me it has got to be the smell of frying onions, a delicious aroma and the signal that the steak is just about to be slapped on the griddle!

An idle thought I know, but the smell of good food does wonders for the body, more so when cooked outside and even better when taken alongside your favourite tipple.

ATB

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
fresh baked bread on a cold morning, the kind that burns your fingers as you break it open.
roast chicken also does me in, can't control myself in the presence of roasted meat full stop tbh!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
A couple of favourites are the obvious frying bacon and the smell of a cup of hot Bovril after a walk in the snow.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
......the smell of a cup of hot Bovril after a walk in the snow.

That would have to be rated as one of my all time least favourite cooking smells
vomit.gif

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Another vote for bacon for me!
That and sausages.
And fried onions!

It's lunch time now, and that's got me thinking how much I want a sausage sarnie. With onions. Maybe a bit of bacon. And tomato sauce (not that blinking brown sauce aberration)...

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
..... and Horlicks

........ and Haribo Cola bottles

Shewie, I've never tried cooking with cola bottles - can you recommend any recipes?
:D

Hog roast with a honey glaze - not exactly something you get to smell every day, but when you do... mmmm...

As for drink - mulled wine in midwinter. Can't beat that smell of booze, cinnamon and fruit.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
As well as all the excellent breakfast smells previously mentioned I like the point where wine or whisky starts to reduce in the pan for a jus.

moab

Forager
Apr 26, 2007
UK
Another vote for bacon for me!
That and sausages.
And fried onions!

It's lunch time now, and that's got me thinking how much I want a sausage sarnie. With onions. Maybe a bit of bacon. And tomato sauce (not that blinking brown sauce aberration)...

Sauce is a tricky one - if its bacon I like brown and if its sausage I like tomato - if they are both on the plate then some tactical sauce dollops are called for;)

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Sauce is a tricky one - if its bacon I like brown and if its sausage I like tomato - if they are both on the plate then some tactical sauce dollops are called for;)

That situation has been well catered for - can't beat a bottle of HP Fruity Sauce :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE