Favorite trail food recipes?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Just had one of my staples at home for a few reasons: I like it, it is easy to make and I couldn't be bothered with anything more complicated!

Get some salami, sliced or in a big lump. Cut it into small chunks and heat it in the pan. The fat content will come out and it will fry in its' own fat. Try not to be tempted to just stop and eat that! Next, throw in a tin of beans. Heat it up. Next, bang in some rice, make sure it is cooked and soft first though! Add any spices that you want and serve up with one of Hoodoos' bannocks. If you can get Scruff to cook the bannock, even better!

stonyman

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 8, 2004
Gloucester
It's not home made, but could be if you can find a recipe, but I love Kabanos - Polish smoked sausage, a chunk of good tasty cheese and some home made german grain type bread.

That's what I normally take with me along with something to drink.

For whatever reason, this time of year is a time when some of us don't get out as much as we'd like. For me this is a time for when I don't get out I'll experiment with trail foods, trial new gear, make and mend older stuff etc.

Recently reading about Cajun food, I came upon a recipe much like Spamels previous post..and I thought it would make the ideal bush food. Light, easy to cook, long lasting.

Jamabalya without the fish
Liddles salami (whole log!) about £2
Rice-whatever you have, micro wave, boil in bag, ordinary dried...
Onions/any other veg
Chilli Sauce/powder
Stock cubes...

Slice n dice as much salami as you want...put in pot and fry
Throw in sliced onions and fry in fat from salami
Throw in your rice and coat in fat
Add water to cover rice and add diced veg/stock/chilli powder
Cover and simmer until rice is cooked.

I've just re-read "The Canoe Boys", a great book on bushcraft and kayaking if ever there was one. 2 guys paddle kayaks from the clyde to skye in 1934 and live off mostly something called brose...now thats what I call bushcraft tucker!

http://www.scottish-store.co.uk/oatmeal-brose.html

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Fry up some(more than plenty) big chunks of chorizo sausage, bung in to a bowl of hot pasta and cover with cheese!

Everything tastes better by the campfire!

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
If weight is not a problem then this is a dead easy resipe this will feed about two people 1lb potatoes one large onion one oxo cube one tin of corn beef Fry onions till golden to dark but not burnt peel and slice potatoes place potatoes and cooked onion in a suitable billy can put in the oxo cube cover with water and cook till tatties are done --to serve place pottatoes and onion and cooking juice in mess tin add sliced corn beef This is truley a simple but very taisty meal

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
For whatever reason, this time of year is a time when some of us don't get out as much as we'd like. For me this is a time for when I don't get out I'll experiment with trail foods, trial new gear, make and mend older stuff etc.

Here, here that man... I do more in winter and cold wet spells then most other times, its when you find out a certain bit of kit is crap before you are far from home and actually depend upon it.

Test stoves, tarps, comfort properties of sleep bags, bivvis etc.

All a good learning curve for me.

Mar 30, 2007
Nyack, NY
My favorite is pemmican, a historical trail food made from meat, fat and dried fruit. Lasts quite awhile w/o out refrigeration, is really tasty and the calorie to weight ratio is really high.
There are many ways to make this - modify this recipe to suit your tastes.
1) Get a couple of lbs. of inexpensive lean beef - NOT ground meat though. Tough cuts are fine - you're only going to dry it and chop it up.
2) Cut the beef into small strips about the size of your little finger. Spread them out on a baker's rack or two, then put the racks on a baking sheet lined with tinfoil. This will catch any drips.
3) Set your oven to the lowest possible setting - mine is about 200 deg. F. Place meat in oven and leave the door open a bit. This will allow air to circulate. We're not trying to cook the meat as much as dry it thoroughly. Leave it in for 6-8 hours or until a strip breaks with a snap.
4) Put meat in batches into a food processor with a handful of dried fruit to taste (I use cherries, currants and/or raisins) Pulverize until the pieces are as small as you'd like, about 1/4 in. in my case.
5) Place the whole mess in a bowl and pour enough melted fat in to JUST COAT the mixture. You don't want a soupy mess, just enough fat to act as a binder as it cools. We're only talking about a couple of tablespoons here. If you don't have melted fat (see below), fresh bacon drippings or olive oil might work, but I've never tried. Don't use butter; it will go rancid QUICKLY.
6) Place in takeout containers or similar and chill until hardened.
A good pinch of this is about 300 calories and a lb of this has kept without problems for four days in August w/o refrigeration in my food bag - another reason to kept the melted fat to a minimum. It's basically jerky and dried fruit really.
I render my own suet and lard - comes in handy for various cooking purposes. Just get 5 lbs. of beef or pork trimmings from your butcher
(cheap or free - I pay .09 a lb.), cut into small cubes and cook overnight in your crockpot set on low. Next day, fish out the remaining unrendered meat and such, then strain melted fat through cheesecloth into large bowl. Pour lots of cold water into the bowl and stuff it in the fridge for several hours. The fat will float and solidify away from the water and and remaining solid particles. Break up the fat into chunks, wipe dry and store. Made with pork, this is the BEST shortening for bannock I have ever used. It may sound like a lot of work, but the yield is pretty good. Enjoy!

mariobab

Tenderfoot
Oct 30, 2006
croatia
Cocoa powder and honey mixed to get dense dough.Add grounded almonds or hazelnuts,shape sausage of it and air dry.As drier it gets cleaner can be cut.Make balls(little smaller than ping-pong balls i do).It can hold forever.And one I ask my mother to make when we visit.500g of sesame seeds fried in pan with no fat, stirring,to get color and start to smell nice,then cool down in air stir occasionally .Then ground it to flour,add 500g of honey and whatever dried fruit like and knead it.Shape sausage and air dry it.It also can hold forever.
But mostly I take thick slice of smoked bacon or smoked sausage and some dried fruits-apricots are my favorite.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE