Favorite lamp and why?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I am in the process of restoring an old tilley lamp. I have bedn brought up through scouting listening to their hiss and popping so cant help having a soft spot for them. They are great for after dark living. Food prep carving etc and great for cabins.

I also love my uco and hurricane lamp for the sitting around the bivvi with a beer and shooting the breeze.

So what do you use and why?

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

resnikov

I have a UCO and enjoy using it but the last few times I have been out I have forgotten to to pack it :/

I also have a tilley that hasn't been used in quite a while. I should use it more but wife is not to keen on it in the tents.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I have a solid brass hurricane lantern which i adore and today i took delivery of two solid brass bushlite candle lanterns. A nice yellow flame bouncing off brass makes me smile a lot

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
I love my UCO and Coleman duel mantle but my favourite at the moment is a little diy jobby sent to me as a gift by bilmo of this parish. It's one of them keyring led things inside a white ripstop nylon bag. Weighs next to nothing but is unbelievably bright.

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
UCO candle lantern for me. Not really bright enough to read by but gives out enough light to see what I'm doing. I use citronella candles to help keep the mozzies at bay.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
my babies :D

20130320_233053_zps68b672a0.jpg

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I find the bushlite far brighter. The reflector actually sits inside the glass closer to the flame so its far more efficient. They are built like a tank too. Candle lanters will never be a capable area light though, they are to provide ambiance and comfort in my view rather than anything else. I take mine because it boosts my morale and makes me feel warm inside.

I have a few hurricane lanterns. Couple of led ones for when camping with the kids as they cant wait for light if havin a screamin abdab moment. Got bush lights and uco's.
Nine times out of ten I use a stick with candle attached or night lights.
I have seen a reenactment tin candle holder that I think offers great potential.
Its basically a hinged tin with a fold out candle holder. The tin acts as a reflector once open. Come the end of my self imposed kit ban I shall invest in one of them I think.

Uco's work well as camp markers to help you find your way back but don't really cast sufficient light I find

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
For build quality I go for Vapalux/Bialaddin, much better than Tilley, for ease of use Coleman, for absolute simplicity and reliability the humble Hurricane lantern. I don't think much of any candle lantern.

My £1.99 string of white LED xmas tree lights give an OK background light in a tent, 2xAA batteries last the weekend.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I have a few hurricane lanterns..........

I have seen a reenactment tin candle holder that I think offers great potential.
Its basically a hinged tin with a fold out candle holder. The tin acts as a reflector once open. Come the end of my self imposed kit ban I shall invest in one of them I think.

We must live our Bushcraft lives in parralel. What do you think the hinged tobbaco tins are for :D

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Use an Uco myself but always afraid the next time I take it out of my Rucksack it's going to be broken so I share the build concerns but so far so good. Good tip about using a tin or mirror as a reflector.

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
Use an Uco myself but always afraid the next time I take it out of my Rucksack it's going to be broken so I share the build concerns but so far so good. Good tip about using a tin or mirror as a reflector.

I've been through 3 globes on my UCO until I bought their neoprene case, they are rather good and I haven't broke a globe since.

No connection blah blah blah.

Bumbler

Nomad
Feb 22, 2013
Norway
www.bushcraft.no
Got a hurricane lamp. But never really take it. In the summer we got 24/7 daylight and in the winter, I just stick some candles in the snow, and build up a snow wall behind on 3 sides as refklector and wind screen for it. Gives plenty of light for me.

But in the autumn it's nice to have something more, So I may get a UCO clone. The hurricane lamp I am always scared to brake, it's heavy and its bulky.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I'm thinking that a mini hurricane/uco hybrid lamp could be easily made with household rubbish and simple tools?

Small glass bottle, something like a pub mixer bottle cut down for the globe.
A couple of can ends like deodorant spray cans for the hood and glass support.
Any old metal can/bottle for the tank.
Jb weld to stick it all together.
Scraps of metal for the wick tube and cage supports.

My only concern would be if the glass would break with the heat? Probably would buy a wick instead of cutting the misses best Egyptian cotton pillowcases up:eek:

A Uco size lamp but with a hurricane lamp output, what do you think?

Steve.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE